Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am ssssooooo mad >

I am ssssooooo mad

I am ssssooooo mad

Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Phyl
I do understand your negative reaction to the clerk. She certainly should not have been rude to you or anyone.

I remember once when I didn't stop at a "STOP HERE ON RED" sign just before a crosswalk and the oncoming, turning onto this street, bus driver cursed me and motioned nasty things with his hands at me.
What he didn't know was I had just been given news that I possibly had cancer and yes, even though I was in the wrong, I didn't need the anger he showed.

We tend to forget that people may be having a bad day and I have found that if I approach them and ask "Is something wrong? I know you would never have spoken that way if everything was okay."(in a caring tone, not a nasty one!) It sometimes brings out a better side of them. It sometimes brings out an apology. And if they still act huffy, puffy and downright nasty, THEN I complain to the management. Let's at least give someone the benefit of the doubt.
I politely have to disagree & please know I'm not trying to be rude. Even if someone is having a bad day, it is NEVER right to be rude to a customer. If someone cannot handle their job due to personal circumstances, then they should take the day off rather then push their problems on someone else. The customer is not there to listen to someone's sob story, they are there to shop. While I agree that the bus driver was horrid to you (shame on him!) and what he did was inexcusable, I don't think it's really the same thing as having someone lie or be completely rude when performing the job they are getting paid to perform. The problem is that this is becoming a common practice. If it were something rare, most of us would be glad to figure they must be having a bad day or something similar, but when it happens 9 times out of 10 I think it goes deeper then that. JMO.

I hope your cancer scare turned out to be just that - a scare, and that you are now healthy and hale.

Nancy - I heartily agree with you! Unfortunately, I can't see a way for any of that to change. If anyone has any answers or suggestions, I'd love to hear it!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 AM

My sister is a store assistant manager. When you have a repeatedly rude clerk, file a complaint with the Arkansas offices. The managers only have 48 hours to resolve the problem. They track the complaints in stores and remove managers (meaning they transfer or outright fire them.)

Customer service is what the store manager knows about. If the rude clerk is having a bad day they are counseled to put it aside or leave. I worked a holiday for Walmart and I know personally how they train and retrain. Bonbon, you need to report the wait time and the employee.

Hancocks here is for another soapbox day. I can't even get into it because I have a doctor appointment in 3 hours and it will take longer than that.

Following company policy trumps store policy in every instance. If I'm grumpy, for whatever reason, I take that into consideration before I make a complaint. Did I cause the rudeness, did I perhaps offend the clerk for some reason, then if I can justify to my mind the complaint I will make it and explain all circumstances.

I frequently buy Walmart heavy flannel for batting in my charity quilts. I don't buy anything to use from their sale tables for a charity quilt but living on a fixed income I have to be more frugal so I will use their "good" flannel. I read the bolt to see what the manufacturing details are. If it's unknown fibers, I don't buy it.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Take the fabric and the receipt to the customer service and they WILL give you a refund.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Sam Walton was a bottom line man. Seems he had no qualms about keeping employee pay low and didn't think hourly employees deserved benefits when most could qualify for state aid.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Customer service? What's that? No one bothers to teach customer service or work ethics any more. I find that the only time I get any real customer service is when I shop locally owned stores. When I was growing up my parents owned a small grocery store. It was drilled into us on a daily basis that every bit of food that we ate and every stitch of clothing that we wore came from those customers. Maybe when people once more start looking at having a job as a priveledge and not a given, things will get back to how they should be. Now I, too, will step away slowly from my soapbox.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I think customers need to appreciate sales people too. AT every store I see people put items down anyplace and walk away. I know I'd get frustrated with having that extra work because of lazy duds. As long as money is being made, not much will change. Customer service I doubt will ever be back to where it is important. Too many other customers to fill the gap the frustrated customer left.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM

As Dh says what can you expect from minium wage employees. My friend was dept manager over fabrics. She is ex army. Very blunt & to the point. Somebody complained that she didn't kiss their behind just right so she was moved to cashier. The dept has gone down really bad since she was moved. She ran a tight ship. Fabric was ordered & stock was kept up. Now it is not. She would check to see if stuff was avaiable & when it would ship & as well as special order. I think they made a mistake. Wally World is known for working people only 35 hrs a week so they don't have to pay benefits. I know lots of folks think Old Sam was an ashol but the company was ran better when he was alive. Dh worked for the warehouse a short time. Because his dept was so productive & had such a good bunch of employees he was made a manager. Then they asked him to take over another dept. to clean it up. Well he wouldn't treat the people like management wanted so they bumped him down. He is a christian man & wouldn't want to be treated like that either. Long story short, it got the bills paid & food on the table till he found a better job. I feel sorry for anybody that has to work there. But back to the subject at hand. The service desk sign says satification guarented. Tell them your not & want it taken care of. It was a defective product & should have been treated as such.BellaBoo knows what she is talking as she lives right there in the mibble of Wally World Ville
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I think customers need to appreciate sales people too. AT every store I see people put items down anyplace and walk away. I know I'd get frustrated with having that extra work because of lazy duds.
I don't know. When I see things lying around from other customers, I just figure that it keeps someone in a job. If people started returning all items to their proper locations, there would be less work and perhaps the opportunity for the store to reduce hours for employees. Admittedly, this would be good for the store owner (Walmart, in this case) because it would reduce overhead costs.

Have to admit I myself make the effort to return unwanted items to their proper location 99% of the time. Upbringing, I suppose......
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Does it seem that customer service has gone south here lately? If its not Wally world its JoAnns or its Hancock Fabrics. Whats with these people?

Billy

IMHO -- I think they just don't need their jobs enough. I've been noticing it all over the place. Even at McDonald's and Wendy's. Too many are rude, unconcerned, and what's with the cell phones while on the job???!!!

In this WalMart case, even if the customer went to the wrong location with their problem, the associate (as they're called today) should have had the presence of mind and good manners to handle it in a different frame way. All she needed to do was ask the customer to please go to customer service because the department can't directly do anything about it.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Originally Posted by littlehud
You would think with the job situation as it is people would be trying harder to do a good job. Guess not though.
Why? - with the extensions of unemployment benefits there are SOME people who don't care if they work or not. Sad.
I beg to differ. I have been collecting unemployment for the past 2 years. I have been lucky(?) enough to have lost my job at a time when there were so many extensions.

I was always looking for a job. I never knew for sure that there would always be another extension and I had to think ahead.

I got a part time seasonal job around Thanksgiving at the local Joann Fabric's. It did turn out to to be a permanent job for me, thank goodness, even if it is only part time. I don't know how much longer these extensions will hold up.

I have to deal with the public every time I work. I have always been kind and courteous, even to those people that are so blatantly rude.

I think it has a lot to do with the character of the person in general. I was never one to be rude or mean to anyone, it goes against my character.