Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is the oldest piece of fabric in your stash? >

How old is the oldest piece of fabric in your stash?

How old is the oldest piece of fabric in your stash?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 AM

Guess the Amana fabric wins for the oldest.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:21 AM

I have fabric from the 50's! As a young child I started a quilt (Dresden Plate) using fabric from old clothing. I LOVE these blocks as I can remember each article of clothing I used to wear and now it's in the blocks I made. One of these days I'll finish that Dresden. I also have cotton from the 50's, polyester from the 60's and 70's, and even LOTS of fabric in my stash from the 90's and 2000's. I can't possibly live long enough to get all of this made up into beautiful creations. :roll: I would NEVER tell my DH this.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by Beachbound
I have knits from the mid 70's!
polyester??? I lived in that stuff & thought I was soooooo fashionable. It sure was easy to sew :-D

Oh, do remember Qiana? I still have some of that!! I also just remembered I have an old feed sack, but can't bring myself to use. Not sure where it came from...
I loved the Quiana!, and I still have enough black to make a dress( of course, the dress wouldn"t fit now!LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Google Goddess

I just started my stash (but found some old fabrics when I made crafts in the late 70's)

I took 100% cotton and make boy and girl doll magnets! I found it the other day and still have them marked on the fabric to cut out
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM

The oldest quilting fabric I have was from the 80's. I worked in a quilt shop then...It's fun to pull out an old fabric in it works in todays new fabric
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM

Don't know but I'm sure somewhere in the stash there are some pieces inherited from my husband's G'ma and she's been gone for nearly 25 years! I'll find them someday!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM

My fabric dates back to the 1950's. My mom quilted, but as with many people who lived through The Depression, her quilts were made from scraps and it didn't matter what the fabric was, denim, wool, whatever, she made quilts from these to keep us warm. All of you who have quilts, scraps, or blocks from scraps of fabrics that were your clothing have a treasure for sure. I wish I had some of my mom's old quilts, but they disintegrated years ago. I love the new fabrics, but the old fabrics bring back so many memories. I'm now trying to collect some feed sacks for a quilt because that's what most of my clothing as a child was made from.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by Beachbound
I have knits from the mid 70's!
polyester??? I lived in that stuff & thought I was soooooo fashionable. It sure was easy to sew :-D

Oh, do remember Qiana? I still have some of that!! I also just remembered I have an old feed sack, but can't bring myself to use. Not sure where it came from...
I loved the Quiana!, and I still have enough black to make a dress( of course, the dress wouldn"t fit now!LOL

Make a top out of it, that's what I plan to do. Mine is a lovely turqoise with gold, very oriental looking!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I have many yard pieces of Liberty of London fabric. I paid $6 a yard in the early 70's. Liberty of London best cotton fabric is about $35 a yard now!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ctsgjs
I know I have fabric in my stash left over from making clothes when my oldest daughter was really small, and she's 31 now!
My son is 44 and daughter is 40 -- still using some leftovers from the clothing I made them when they were toddles! They quilt beautifully! I even used some in a doll quilt for my grandaughter this year!