Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grandparents raising grandchildren >

Grandparents raising grandchildren

Grandparents raising grandchildren

Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Well, my 17-year old GD seems to think I'm her enemy -- but I'm not. She was allowed to go and do as she pleased and was never taught the word "no." I don't say it often, but there are times when it is appropriate. I'm glad your GD likes to sew. I have one who lives about 200 miles from me who likes sewing and I'm teaching her to quilt. The one living with me only wants to be with her friends and boyfriend. We've had to establish rules for school days and weekends. I work, so I don't like teenagers being in my house when I'm not there. It was never allowed when my children were growing up and it's not allowed now. But, that's only one problem. She feels deserted by her parents and I can understand that, but again, I'm not the enemy here.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM

My husband and I also work we have our own business but I guess I've been lucky I know all of our GD friends and usually she only has one at a time over in order not to disturb us. Not many of them around the house when we're at work since most of them have part time jobs for the summer and now will be starting college. You're going thru what I went thru with our daughter guess maybe that's why GD is such a pleasure for us. My husband is my daughters step father and her father has never kept in touch so she had that deserted feeling and made my husbands life H*** for a couple years. Now they are closer than her and I. Hang in there you are not the enemy and when she's a little older she will know that and she will let you know also.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
I know a lady whose friend recently had her first baby. She is 55 and hubby is 63. Now that takes guts...
OMG i am 45 and was taking care of twins for the last year loved them dearly but was soooooo glad at the end of the day when it was time for them to go home there were even some days i was practically waiting on the curb for mommy lol people that have kids late in life are awesome but it is ssoooo not for me they just wear me out i am hoping i raised my boys well enough to take care of their own children but i also know sometimes life cant be helped and we do what we have to do God bless you folks!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

still here, I'm 69 and raising a 10 year old had him since he was3 months. also had his sis from 2 until 15. I get tired but he's a love and helps me a lot, but he's also the last one. I
have 23 grands and 12 greatgrands, love them all but more when they get to go home with mom and dad.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Well, there are days we don't know how we do it either....ask me, been there, still doing it.
I admire you for doing what you are for your grandchild/grandchildren.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 PM

I ***SALUTE*** any gradparent that
has to raise their children's children.
That is above & beyond the Call of Duty.

*****SALUTE*****
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
My brother and his wife have guardianship of their grandson. They have had him since he was 6 weeks old, he just turned 10, my brother is 62, my SIL is 60. Wears me out just thinking about it.
They deserve a medal!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM

My cousin's son was a miracle baby when he was born when she was 48 and he was 50. Now 18 he is dealing with trying to leave home to go to school and cope with his father's recent strokes and Mom's insecurities and needs. Just not fair!

You are correct, it is NOT fair for this young man. How can he go about being a young man away at school when he has to worry about his dad having strokes, as well as his mom having her own set of demands? I hope that he has aunts, uncles and/or cousins who he can rely on if only for a chat.

I admire grandparents who have stepped up and taken responsibility. But the thing is this: when a child has a grandparent caring for them they know it is a grandparent and cope quite well with it. When their parents are the age of grandparents they know that they are different and that's a problem![/quote]

I agree with you on this point 1000%.

What is the child suppose to do when the grand parent passes away and the parent wants to step in?

TreeFrog
Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm 48 and there are days I can't keep up with my bunch. at home I have a 4yr old, 6 yr old, 11 yr old, 12 yr, 13 and 13 yr, 14 and a 19 yr old. so thats 8 still at home with 3 at 21,22,and 23. out on their own.. I'm tired...lol
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

my grandson has been living with me and my husband
for 6 years now. he stays with his mother a couple a days
a week in the summer as she works third shift at a hotel
front desk. i am 64 years old and my husband is 68 years
old. it is like starting over again but a lot harder.