Earthquake in New Zealand

Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
Thanks for the updates Mrs. B. Seems like we have several quilters in NZ - hope we hear from them soon too.

edit: I did a search & found these members:
mamahippychicky (Suzi) is in Christchurch
Faye Wicker
BlueChicken
KiwiQuilter
Sew Special (Tricia)
and nursie76's daughter & SIL are in Auckland

I hope they are all okay!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 PM

I pray all are safe. It is such a scary feeling to know the ceiling & footing of your dwelling/office/hospital, etc. can go at anytime. I pray that all the relatives are able to contact each other so that everyone knows they are safe.

We lived in Marin Co, north of San Francisco, CA back in late 70s, early 80s & experienced a couple of bad ones. My DD & SIL live in Larkspur, CA, Marin Co now & all I can do is pray they stay safe.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Hi everyone. Just to let you know that we are fine. The house seems to be ok, but there was a lot of liquifaction sp? where sand and silt has come up all around our streets so the place is a mess. We are still without power and water at our house, but hopefully that will be restored in the next couple of days. There have been heaps of aftershocks and they expect them to continue. Still waiting to find out when the kids can go back to school. Will update later with photos etc.

I just want to quilt!!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by mamahippychicky
Hi everyone. Just to let you know that we are fine. The house seems to be ok, but there was a lot of liquifaction sp? where sand and silt has come up all around our streets so the place is a mess. We are still without power and water at our house, but hopefully that will be restored in the next couple of days. There have been heaps of aftershocks and they expect them to continue. Still waiting to find out when the kids can go back to school. Will update later with photos etc.

I just want to quilt!!!!!
Very happy to hear that you are OK Suzi! Keep us updated when you can. ((((((((((hugs to you all)))))))))))
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Prayers to everyone that has been affected by the earthquakes.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Sending prayers to everyone there. Earthquakes are scary!!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 PM

I've read on the Internet that since New Zealand has some
strong laws about buildings, there are very few, if any deaths from this earthquake. In Haiti, on the other hand, the buildings were flimsy and built with lots of bribes so no controls. Lots of deaths that could have been avoided.

Let's pray they are all fine and will return to our forum, ready and willing to donate quilts to any injured in the quakes.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM

from the news report there where no deaths but lots of buildings have colapsed and lots of damage everywhere,
Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Gal

Hi everyone, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, yes we are all fine thank goodness but what an ordeal!! We live only a few miles from where the quake took place, I shall write some of what happened to us here. We feel so blessed to have come through all this unscathed! Well that is apart from two bruised shoulders I have from being thrown from side to side down our hall way as I tried desperately to reach my front door, hands cut from broken glass as I crawled along the floor as it was impossible to stand up, and a purple knee from being thrown down the two steps to my front door onto a concrete floor, the force was so strong. This was all in the pitch black! I could not open my front door as I was being thrown all over the place, I could only manage to stay upright on my knees! When finally I got the door open I thought I could run outside onto the lawn, how wrong I was, I found the ground was moving so much I could not stand upright at all!! I skidded and slipped on the ice on my front porch and fell onto the lawn, the night was freezing and we still had a layer of snow on our lawn from the day before, so I found myself sitting in the frozen snow with my bare bum on the snow only wearing a cotton night shirt!! But I was free from the shaking house!!!! The sound was like a train crashing into our house, only minor cracks in our home though and a small crack on our brick fire place inside, and the chicken house is leaning over, we had many things inside the house break, glasses lamps pictures ornaments 4 vases my sculpures and DH Grandfather clock was smashed! The stone tower of our beautiful church came down and parts went through the roof. It is 100 years old next year!
We had no power for 12 hours, my brother further up into the hills still has no power, we have to boil our water as the pump station up the river has failed, but we still have water being in a rural area. My daughter in CHCH has no sewage or water, niether has another brother in Lyttleton, one of my sisters has lost three brick chimnies on her old homestead. We have had many after shocks which have been around 4 or 5 on the RS and our house being wooden has shaken with every one of them! They said we may feel these for up to two or three weeks!

Can' wait to get quilting again but for tonight we are bracing ourselves for gale force winds and heavy rain !

Thanks once again for all your kind thoughts!

Gal
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 PM

I am so glad we are hearing from our quilting families in the NZ and Australia areas. I have been thinking and praying for you all day. Hugs from all of us and please keep us informed!