Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a quilt for the color blind? >

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM

I would suggest a black & white greek key style quilt. I find that these are very manly looking and the men usually like the style.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
I made one earlier this year.
Here it is:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-53950-1.htm

Good luck with yours.
Post pics!
2 Doods
omg! I looked at your quilt (didnt see it before because i have been too busy to even be online at all) and i swear i almost had an orgasm! sorry if thats offensive, but i looooved it! wow! ok. I think i need to either be online more or not at all. whew
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM

My DH is also color blind. Browns look red to him. Blues are purple. Dark shades of any color are black. Most light shades are either yellow or light green. He works at a hardware store & they will not allow him near the paint department anymore. Don't ask why. LOL The best thing to do is casually ask him about colors of things like sunsets, pine trees, etc.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm a beginning quilter. Just learning to make pot holders. However, I have been an artist and interested in color all my life.

And, I came across this amazing color site the other day:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#

Go to the top of the page and click on 'vision simulation.' This shows how various colors appear to people with different types of color blindness.

I have never seen this information anywhere before. I hope it helps with the quilt.

Mooly
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I would concentrate on the pattern and contrast. Use colors as usual for the non color blind, but make yellow a focal color and be sure there is a nice contrast so he can see the pattern. You could take a selection of fabrics for him to see and let him help with the contrast.
Good advice. My DH is colour blind and several people here have already described how it is.
Quilterguy27 - that's hilarious about the red/yellow flashing lights. It's so common that I often end up wondering why emergency vehicles haven't changed. My DH has trouble distinguishing the traffic lights from those orange street lights now being used so I do all city night driving. He uses lots of traffic cues! Also notices a TON of things that I miss, especially when walking in the woods.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:04 PM
JJs
Banned

have him pick out his favorite crayons from a box

he may pick a green as brown.. my brother HATES green...

my one uncle could not tell the difference between black and brown..

but by using the crayons you a: have lots of colors right there and b: know what colors look like to him..
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
Originally Posted by grammyp
I would concentrate on the pattern and contrast. Use colors as usual for the non color blind, but make yellow a focal color and be sure there is a nice contrast so he can see the pattern. You could take a selection of fabrics for him to see and let him help with the contrast.
Good advice. My DH is colour blind and several people here have already described how it is.
Quilterguy27 - that's hilarious about the red/yellow flashing lights. It's so common that I often end up wondering why emergency vehicles haven't changed. My DH has trouble distinguishing the traffic lights from those orange street lights now being used so I do all city night driving. He uses lots of traffic cues! Also notices a TON of things that I miss, especially when walking in the woods.
b.zang: so glad you got a chuckle out of that. I got questioned about it all the time when I was still driving, lol.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by Holice
another thought. Don't fall into a trip and make a quilt that you think the colors should be and what you believe go together. It is his quilt even tho others might not think it is perfectly color coordinated.
Many men are red/green color challenged and purples look like blue and sometime greens appear to be browns. I might take him to the shop and let him pick the colors that are pleasing to him.
I can totally relate to this. I am a color blind quilter. Mostly red/green and Holice explained it pretty good. Many primary colors are mixed together to get secondary colors and so forth. So, if a color has red or green in it, it won't "appear" as it's true self to the color blind. I mistake one color for another all the time. I had help sorting my stash and everything is labeled. But, when it comes time to make a new quilt I work mostly in shades and tones. I've not had a problem yet. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me or we could discuss it right here for all to see so everyone can learn from this.

Because purple has red in it, it appears blue because I can't see the red in it. I get brown and green confused all the time. Unlike your friend I have a problem with yellow. I like it, but it gives me trouble. For instance, I can't read anything that has been "highlighted" in yellow. The yellow acts like invisible ink, so if you highlight something, it's as if you just erased it. I get dark colors confused all the time. Black, red, dark brown: I can't always tell which is which and could possibly think they are all the same color.

As I said before, I work in color values to do my quilts. You know how they say use a piece of red film to look at your fabrics to determine value. Light, medium, dark. Well, I don't have to use the red film, I have it "built in". LOL!

In my experience I've "learned" what color is what. I may not see it the same way as you, but I have learned to know (most of the time) what color is what. For instance, grass is green and we all know grass is green. Therefore I know grass is green. Fire engines are red and we all know that, therefore I know red based on fire engines. Another example, I know stop lights are red (top), yellow (middle), green (bottom). I'm looking for which one is lit up, not at the actual color, lol. (It's the red flashing and yellow flashing ones that are confusing. Don't worry, I don't drive anymore, but if I did and you were coming the other way, not to worry I'd stop at the yellow light just to be on the safe side.) I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Also, if he/she knows you are making the quilt and they told you they are color blind. More than likely they aren't ashamed of it and are willing to discuss it with you. So, as stated before, feel free to ask questions and take them with you when shopping for fabric. It could be fun and you might learn something unexpected.

You can also go to my profile and check out the quilts I've made.

Oh, I just went and looked. I don't have many quilts posted on here. If you are a member of The Quilt Show you can see all my quilts there. (Actually, you don't have to be a member, I have it set up for all to see, enjoy!)
Just search my user ID, it's: generik4u
I just did see your quilts Quilterguy. I thought that if you weren't told no-one would know that you were color blind. They are great quilts. So now you know I am a member of The Quilt show too. I love seeing other peoples' quilts that are posted there. and also seeing the shows which helps me fill in time I need some times to relax from quilting.Thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 PM

Your best bet is to go ahead and ask what colors he can recognize. My DH is also color blind. He sees tan colors as green. He has a restriction on his pilot's license. He can't distinguish amber lights on a runway. But there are quite a few colors that he can see and know what they are. You don't have to tell you want to make a quilt...just be curious as to what colors the person can see and know what they are!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Take him to the fabric store and let him pick out his favorites. Then you will be able to "see" what he sees.