Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Embroidery for FMQ?? >
  • Embroidery for FMQ??

• Embroidery for FMQ??

Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Do any of you other quilters know if the Quilt designs from Joann's works with our Bernina 440QE? I know that Anne G. works but am not sure about any other designs.
    Thanks
    Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM

If it's the right size and comes in .art files it would work on the Berninas. But, I don't know of any designs sold at Joannes. Unless you're talking about the Viking dealer in Joannes.
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 AM

They are the Quilting designs by Quiltmaker it is a software.
    But who it is for I do not know?
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Corry
    Originally Posted by quilter53
    Originally Posted by smtp5
    I thought that you could just hoop the stabilizer and not the quilt, just position it..or spray with adhesive?
    I use either a sticky stabilizer or spray adhesive and only hoop the stabilizer not the quilt. My machine has a fix which holds whatever I am embroidering on so it doesn't move. the hooping was the hardest part for me. I was very glad when I learned how to do the non-hoop.
    :)
    When you say your machine has a fix that holds it on.....do you mean that it bastes it before it starts to embroider? I just bought an embroidery machine that has a large hoop so I can embroider my quilts like this as I am not good with FMQ either. I intend to try and practice but until then do not want to ruin my quilts I currently need quilted. I have put too much time into some of these tops tp ruin them with my inexperience in fmq. Hoping I can use the embroidery quilting method till I acquire some fmq skills. I also bought this machine because it has the function of using the start/stop button to sew with out the foot pedal and was told this made fmq a little easier. Anything to help me get to mastering this fmq skill. I can't keep sending my tops out for someone to do on the longarm. Besides that I want to finish them myself. I will never be able to buy my own longarm enless I win the lottery. lol
    Yes, the fix is a basting stitch. I use that one the hooped stabilizer without the quilt and also no thread so there will be just holes in the stabilizer. Then cut out inside the fixed area of the sticky stabilizer. Put the quilt on top of the stabilizer and do a fix with thread. It holds it in place and also you won't have stabilizer to get off of the back of your quilt. Hope that makes sense.
    Practice on a sandwiched practice block before you do your quilt to get the feel of it.
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM

I also just got an SE-400 Brother. Can you give me the embroidery site where you got your downloads? Thanks
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Quilter 53, I just purchased a lot of the quilting designs from EL, but haven't tried them yet, I was wondering if you have sewn them out yet? I love them, and am anxious to try them.[/quote]
    I have used a lot of their emb. designs and have never had any trouble with any of them. I have purchased a lot of their quilting designs but have only used one of them and it is beautiful. It's the feather quilting heart.
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM

http://www.emblibrary.com is the website. It has 1000's of designs. they have sales every week. Sometimes only a 1.00 per design. I don't like to spend 60-70 on a cd when I might only use 1 design from it.
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT USEING MY EMBROIDERY MACHINE TO QUILT. SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. I WILL HAVE TO TRY THIS. I HAVE BEEN SENDING MINE OUT TO BE QUILTED AND IT IS GETTING VERY EXPENSIVE, THEREFORE I DON'T MAKE ALL THE QUILTS I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS THREAD, AS YOU CAN LEARN SO MUCH AND OTHER QUILTERS GIVE SUCH GREAT INFO.
    PUGLOVER1
    Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM

I just finished a quilt for gs. I used white thread on top and dark blue in the bobbin to match the backiing. I changed the tension so the blue wouldn't show on top but the white shows on back. Any ideas what else I could have done? Oh, it was FMQ.
    Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
    I just finished a quilt for gs. I used white thread on top and dark blue in the bobbin to match the backiing. I changed the tension so the blue wouldn't show on top but the white shows on back. Any ideas what else I could have done? Oh, it was FMQ.
    It's very very difficult to get the tensions perfectly balanced. I've done this too (using very different colored or valued thread) and not been pleased with the results. So when I'm in the planning stage I try to use fabrics that don't require a huge value difference in quilting threads. Seems like less hassle to me!