Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I think I have a problem >
  • I think I have a problem

• I think I have a problem

Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM

My sewing ~ quilting seems to come in spurts. I marathon quilt and then walk away and leave it sometimes for months. Don't be too hard on you..remember this is suppose to be fun & enjoyable. =) But there are times I get discouraged too...I look at the things other people do and what they accomplish in such a short amount of time and it sometimes can make be downright tired. Then I hit a spurt again and crank out 5 quilt tops in a week. I wish that whatever it is that makes me do that I could bottle up and save for those down times. I think maybe for me its the weather. Thats my story anyway. =)
    Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
    i have the same problem except i'm really old (74) and when i get home i almost never feel like sitting at the sewing machine. most of my sewing is on saturday. i do embroidery or some other hand work while in my recliner. give yourself a break, mother, working outside home, son, husband, etc. have fun but don't beat up on yourself.
    You aren't really old! Seventy Four is young, I am just two years younger than you. We may go a tish slower than the youngsters (haha), but we get our stuff done at our leisure. I have my quilting, plus I have a quilt that I am embroidering (Christmas - working with red thread - I am tired of red thread) (all cross stitch - gift from a friend - she hates me!) - But honestly, it is easy to carry around with me if my husband needs physical therapy, or I have to wait for something, I just take my little case that has everything in it and find myself a light and a chair and sew until it is time to go home. Works great when I have to take Mom to the dentist or the dr. I have plans in the back of my head and will eventually get to them. But I sure am not going to beat myself up. It'll get done - maybe not today or tomorrow, but it'll get done. My Quilt - My Rules. Edie
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 AM

I have it too and I think it is fear of failure. I have a lot of ideas and study photos and think I can do that. But, I have so much trouble getting it right and I give up. Now I am afraid to try.
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
    The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
    You are not alone! Before I retired I had people tell me they were busier than when they worked, etc. I thought they were crazy! BUT it's true because you get involved in things you've been unable to and often I have trouble focusing on quilting.

You have a TON of stuff going on - my thoughts? Don't attempt major projects now - wait until after the holidays. So, pick up a quilting magazine and dream about one(s) you want to work on later. If you keep going back to the same pattern, keep studying it and when you are ready to tackle it, the mountain won't seem so steep!

Let us know how you're doing. Hang in there you can do it!! :thumbup:
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 AM

yesterday, everything I sewed I had to rip out and start over after the 3rd time ripping out, I set it down and moved on to the next project, they were all the same, I finally gave up on the sewing end and just did all the fabric ironing and cutting for the gifts I need to make, so now they are all ready for me to start putting them together today (at least I didn't burn the fabric ironing it lol) It's just some days you aren't meant to do some things move on to the next project and go back to it another day.
    Originally Posted by fabrichore
    The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 AM

I remember well those hour long drives to work, and then another hour home after working all day. That leaves little time for anything else during the work week. The weekend's were full of laundry, house cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. About the only time I could sew was on vacation time or long weekends. Those were my special cherished times. With all that said, buying fabric now is a good idea with costs constantly rising. You will use it in the future as you have more time available. You can always turn around and resell fabric later if you don't use it yourself.

Just tell hubby you are planning for your future when your time schedule permits you to do what you'd like to do without rushing anything.
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 AM
    Power Poster

nothing is wrong with you, we all go through those times. don't beat yourself up over it. one day you will walk into the room and things will just 'flow' and you will be back at creating again. i know i beat myself up when i am feeling behind on projects and work is wearing me out. usually i'm pretty good about getting home from work and sewing until time to fix dinner, then back after dinner till bed...but man, lately it takes all i have to fix dinner and do the dishes...after that i'm veg-ing on the couch...thinking about all the things not getting done.
    it will get better, don't stress over it. when the time is right you will be able to sew :thumbup:
    Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 AM

I had the same problem. I get home and have to cook dinner, clean the kitchen up and by then I'm too tired to do anything. Something that really helped get me started was buying a simple Kaffe Fassett quilt kit. I just had to sew large diamonds together and make no decisions. When that project was done I was fired up to do anything. Any simple project might work so you a have a sense of accomplishment. On the weekends I set myself up so I just have the fun stuff to do in the evenings.
    Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
    i have the same problem except i'm really old (74) and when i get home i almost never feel like sitting at the sewing machine. most of my sewing is on saturday. i do embroidery or some other hand work while in my recliner. give yourself a break, mother, working outside home, son, husband, etc. have fun but don't beat up on yourself.
    I'm 74 too and although I'm retired I haven't got much quilting done the past few years as I've slowed down considerably due to arthritis. That hasn't stopped me from buying fabric, it's so colorful, it's fun match fabrics together for a project, I never have to worry if it's the right size or will fit - I just buy a couple extra yards, so I keep buying it. Also find my attention span is not very long so I try not to pick difficult or large quilts to work on, quick and easy seems to work for me now. So you are not alone, make yourself a cup of tea, go into your sewing room, pet some fabric for awhile and relax, you deserve it. May in Jersey
    Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 AM

I am exactly the same way. After I quit work about 30 years ago I made a list of things I would like to get done and as I do I just cross them off and I feel good about myself. I try and get my hubby to do the same thing but he won't.
    Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I try to set small goals. Then when I go to bed at night instead of beating myself up for what I didn't do that day, I congratulate myself on what I've accomplished. Even if the list is small it makes me feel better about myself.
    :|