How did we ever survive?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I remember!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
OK...who remembers ironing their hair to make it straight ...LOL
WOW, I do. Plus others like teased hair piled artistically high, dresses, long leg girtles, nylons, hats, gloves. Much older stuff like Streetcars. Looking back those were okay days (you know good/bad). Streets were alot safer, life was easier less complicated. Routines were the order of the day, Monday laundry way (soup for dinner) Tu, We, Thu, Fri, Sa still routine and Sunday a day of rest. Also loved the radio and who can remember Baby Snooks? Thanks for reminding me of the memories.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned

Well my wife and I were talking about this thread and what all she and I did when we were little and we had a ball reminiscing. Although she is 13 years older than I am and my childhood memories happened when she was in high school but it was funny listening to the things that we were doing back then. I was playing with my GI Joes and she was hitch hiking to Atlanta to see Jimmy Hendricks. Then when I was watching "The Monkees" and watching the launch of Apollo 13, she was attending "Peace Rallies"!!

But we are fixing to do an all out renovation to our vacation home in Middle TN and then we are moving up there and it will be like it was in the good old days. Grow/shoot our own food, solar power, completely off the grid living. The only bills I will have will be a cell phone, satellite/DSL and taxes. We will go into Nashville once every couple of months to stock up on the basics like milk,sugar, flour, fabric, batting and thread, but other than that I am living the life!!

Billy
Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 AM

Didn't life seem much simpler and easier then?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 AM

Do these memories date us? I once told my kids I wanted to live in one of the houses displayed at Greenfield Village....their response-"but how would you watch TV"....told them "by candlelight", then had to explain......would still be willing to move in, just need my moms old White treadle I first sewed on.....Awe the memories we cherish...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM

how about this one playing red light green light till it got dark then playing ghost in the grave yard when it got dark running around screaming yelling and scaring the crap out of each other till about 10 or 11 at night because the parents didnt have to worry because everyone was at one house together
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Amen to this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 AM

I frequently think about these things and how happy and creative we were. Not at all like kids these days who seldom seem to be happy. We spent summers on my grandparents farm because that was what we could afford. Today, where do I live, on my own little farm. It is truly good to take a step back sometimes.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM

You had a school nurse? We had a school secretary who let us sit in her office until Mom picked us up (if we were REALLY sick). Otherwise the teacher put merthiolate and maybe a bandaid on our scratch and sent us back to our desk. And we played baseball without gloves or helmets, and we took our shoes off to play soccer with a basket ball - we didn't know there were real soccer balls. Wasn't it fun? :-D
Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
You had a school nurse? We had a school secretary who let us sit in her office until Mom picked us up (if we were REALLY sick). Otherwise the teacher put merthiolate and maybe a bandaid on our scratch and sent us back to our desk. And we played baseball without gloves or helmets, and we took our shoes off to play soccer with a basket ball - we didn't know there were real soccer balls. Wasn't it fun? :-D

The elementary school I went had a school nurse full time. She was hilarious, gave us a band aid for any little scratch...LOL