• Main
  • how do you store yours? >
  • how do you store yours?

• how do you store yours?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM

Wow...thanks everyone! What great ideas!! :thumbup:
    Old 11-20-2010, 05:47 AM
    Power Poster

I have my thread in large (one gallon or more) glass jars. Separated by color family or purpose. They're on top of my lawyers bookcase that I keep my batiks in and they just add more color to my sewing room. You can find these jars at Hobby Lobby (50% off almost every week) they're "antique looking" blue (like old mason jars) with tight fitting lids. Just picked up two more yesterday.
    Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

I have very little thread. DH made a small cabinet between two studs in my sewing room wall. He used two June Tailor spool racks and mounted those in the back in such a way I can remove them.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Mega-Rack.../dp/B000YZCSHE

There is a small glass door closing it all off. I think it is important to keep the thread in such a way to minimize the dust. It is also nice to see what you have.
    Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 AM

I purchase clear plastic boxes from Joann's jewelry making section when they are on sale, or I use a coupon. There is two types, one w/set plastic compartments that will hold the large C&C threads, and another type that have dividers that can be moved around to fit other sizes of thread, also good for bobbins, and other accessories. They rarely cost more than $1.99 and when on sale .99.

I envy those of you who have a whole room for your sewing, in Texas we have a 4 room house and since we each have our own bedroom I have had to keep sewing table, etc. in my room. DH is going to have a shed built just for my fabric, (stored in large plastic totes and labelled. In Illinois I have a larger house, again separate bedrooms w/the third used as a computer room w/book shelves. I sew in the dining room under a sunny window and all my stash is organized on the closed in front porch. Since I also bead and crochet my stash is large, don't know what I will do when we sell and move permanently to Texas.
    Some good ideas here, I like the fishing tackle box idea and the foam ear plugs idea.
    Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
    I bought my thread boxes at Walmart in the toy department. If you look with the Hot Wheels and other toy cars, usually on the bottom shelf, you will find double sided, clear plastic cases. They have dividers to hold toy cars - they are also the perfect size for threads! And, only $6 each! Similar "thread" boxes in the fabric department are $20 on up!

:)
    I agree. This is what I have used for years and it works well for me.
    Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888
    I have my thread in large (one gallon or more) glass jars. Separated by color family or purpose. They're on top of my lawyers bookcase that I keep my batiks in and they just add more color to my sewing room. You can find these jars at Hobby Lobby (50% off almost every week) they're "antique looking" blue (like old mason jars) with tight fitting lids. Just picked up two more yesterday.
    I buy pickles in the gallon jars because my DDs LOVE pickles and eat them by the gallons! So, I have tons of these jars. Filled three with buttons. Never thought to do thread. Doesn't it make it hard to find what you need tho without having to dump out the whole thing?
    Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by deebee
    Originally Posted by quiltluvr
    Mine are in one of those Sulky plastic carriers. They are about $30 at JoAnn's from what I remember.

I also purchased a pattern for a wall hanging that holds thread from a quilt show in PA. Haven't made it yet. One day.........
    I'd like to see a picture of your wall hanging when you get it made. It sounds like a good idea!
    Well, my bad. After all these years come to find out it's not a wall hanging, tho' I imagine you could find a way to convert it. Haven't looked at the pattern since I bought it but here's the link to see what it looks like.

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/produ...rary/242/p2c52

There's a few freebies on there too! Check at the bottom of the home page for them.
    Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 AM

As a lover of antiques, I just had to buy some antique spool thread cabinets. And...once again I'm thinking I might like to buy a few more.
    Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 AM

Wow! Amazing. This is what an area should look like. A Quilter Mentor!
    Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

I place the matching thread and bobbin in a 3" x 4" snap lock bag(I had trouble matching thread and bobbin at night). Then all the blues go into a larger bag, the pinks into their own bag etc. etc. then the larger bags go into a large plastic container. When I'm looking for a matching thread I just pull out that bag of colours and match to the fabric.