Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820? >

Bernina 820?

Bernina 820?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 AM

I have to agree. This is YOUR money from YOUR aunt. Even in a court of law, it is YOUR money. Get the machine. Your aunt would love for you to have it or she would not have left you so much money. She loved sewing, you love sewing. What a great way to remember her.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 AM

It makes perfect sense. Go ahead and buy it. The 6600 can be a back up machine. Your aunt, your machine. The only time I would say to put a windfall in the household checking account is if a person has been out of work/other reason and Really needs it for bills.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ljordan1029
I have been lurking in the shadows waiting for a thread about machines. The first expensive machine that I purchased was a Baby Lock,Ellageo. Never had minutes trouble with it, had it cleaned once a yr, and sewed it wheel off. After a number of years I started thinking about purchasing a machine with a larger emb. area, more unique stitching.(On an impulse) purchased a Husq. Diamond, perhaps it was the machine or the operator but it caused me no days of grief, and the auto threader was a nightmare, continually being a pain. Talked to the store owner after I started having trouble. They wanted to charge me $1,000.00 to restock it. Knowing I didn't have that type of money to throw away, I decided to keep it. More nightmares, finally after 2 months I gave up, and bought a Brother's Innov-is 6000-D. The difference for me has been a true blessing, no problems with the bobbin, coming unthreaded, and the threader is an absolute dream. Like many of you, the money came from an inheritance, sometimes I sew all day, and I need a work horse. The 6000-D is it, I hope it stays with me like the Baby Lock did. GD is wanting this machine, but I'm not ready to let it go, haven't needed a 2nd machine, yet, but for me being without a good sewing machine and the internet is much akin to being on another planet. Thanks for listening.
I am with you on the Brother ,when I got my lump sum disablity I bought my Brother QC1000 got a good deal cause I also got a serger with it. Only problem I ever had with it was operator error. My DD was appalled that I spent 2 grand on a sewing machine. I just laughted at her. I had given her13 grand to pay bills catch up on mortgage and have the yard cleaned up. It was like REALLY???
But I do have my vintage machines . Count is down to 6. Hopefully it will get smaller. I would like to get it down to 4 or 5 lol I have 2 I am planning on getting rid of. A Viking and a Kenmore in a parlor cabinet. as soon as I get settled in here
Old 12-15-2010, 06:49 AM

I agree about using the money in a wise, frugal, prudent manner if one is under financial constraints. That isn't the case for us. We aren't wealthy by any means, but we aren't swimming in credit card debt or eating Ramen Noodles routinely for supper. Yes, applying the money to the house mortgage would be beneficial to us in the long run because of all the interest it would save us, but I'm trying to push that out of my conscious thought. (That is what the hubby would prefer....however, I told him I didn't see him skipping to the bank with the money he spent on his 4 wheeler or snowmobile. I don't understand why men are fine spending a boat load of cash on their toys, but a woman's "toy" should be kept under a certain price. Honestly, my sewing machine would see more miles than either of his toys would. Just to clarify, I do love my husband and value his opinions immensely, and he did say that this ultimately is my decision. He just views the world through "man eyes"...)

You ladies are just too sweet!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Go for the 820, we always put us last so for once get in line first. You can sell the other one. Besides the money was left to you and you can make many item and earn money back. Hey, go for it and I hope to see here soon that you did.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 AM

Ops, didn't see the part of the four wheeler and the snowmobile, ok, gloves off and you head on out to get the 820. We are not rich either but while my hubby is doing his thing, I am doing mine and it makes for a good combination between us.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Lots of great insight and advice on this board and no exception here. When my brother and I inherited $$$, twice, actually, much of mine and all of his ended up spent on living expenses while being under-employed. Maybe that was good for my boys to have a mom working part-time for some critical years, who knows. But when I saw that it was just replacing earned income but would soon be gone, I bought a house at a great time and we have more stability now, no more moving every few years or scolding them to be quiet to avoid aggravating the neighbors. It is YOUR money, your decision. Go for the machine you want that will meet your artistic needs. We all know the happiness and mental health benefits of sewing. The Bernina is a sure thing, quality wise. I always wanted a Pfaff 7570 when I was young and now wish I had splurged. Those machines are still going strong and their smart and fortunate owners are hanging on til the bitter end. I finally bought a new Babylock Quest Plus after 20 yrs of sewing on a basic, mechanical, so-so Singer and WOW! I should've upgraded long ago. I also bought some FWs and a machine for my kids. I might just go for a machine with an 11" harp next year. Making up for lost time! My $$, my business. And I still give in charity, send my boys to private religious school, pay my bills, etc. Voting that you go for it and also keep the 6600 you love as a 2nd machine. Buy a vintage machine on top of it all too. Say a prayer of gratitude for your aunt everytime you enjoy the blessings of her gift to you.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Go for it. When I retired I had some buy out money, I bought the Bernina 440 w/BSR and a big TV for hubby. I also knew if I didn't do it right then, the money would, like you said, get assimulated into the household money. Never regretted it. Food for thought. You might consider keeping the 6600. Someday you might want to put the 820 on a frame.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Why don't you buy the 820 and then sell your 6600? Thats what I would do, you will have the machine you really want and someone else will end up with the 6600 and will love it.
Besides its YOUR inheritance and you should be able to do what you want with it. It would be different if you needed the $$ to eat. Then I would say not to spend it.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Puck116, I did think of putting the 6600 on a frame, but it does have only 9" to the right of the needle. What frame would work for that size machine? I would love to have any info you could share, since I'm clueless about quilting frames. I also thought I had read somewhere that the machines that sew strictly in a straight seam are the only ones "stable" enough to provide good quilting results. Maybe this is a good thread to start anew....Does a 6600 work well on a frame? Thanks for rekindling my thoughts on this.