Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820? >

Bernina 820?

Bernina 820?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 AM

You have all been so kind and understanding. I thought perhaps some would say I was ridiculous, greedy, ungrateful for what I've already been blessed with, etc. That's what the "reasonable" part of me keeps whispering in my ear. But not one single person found my desires as foolish as they sometimes seem, or at least no one said so.

Thanks for helping me with this. Lots of you have echoed the sentiments of my heart when you said it would remind me of my aunt. Even though I didn't know her well, she deserves to be remembered and thanked for her generousity each time I roll my chair up to the 820. She was a well to do woman who made her own fortune, and I know she worked hard and realized her dreams only with optimism and determination. That's inspirational to me.

My Janome is named Naomi, and I was dreaming of naming my Bernina Gina, but maybe her name should be Franny, after my aunt. It seems to have an appealing ring to me!

A very happy holidays to each of you. And keep the comments coming, if you wish. I'll let you know what happens, but I haven't actually received the inheritance yet. Aunt Fran had 39 nieces and nephews and all have to be found and notified before the checks can be sent. Last I heard one was "missing". Funny thing is that that person attended the funeral, but no one got the person's address or phone number! Ironic.

My best to you. And thanks again.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 AM

I have been lurking in the shadows waiting for a thread about machines. The first expensive machine that I purchased was a Baby Lock,Ellageo. Never had minutes trouble with it, had it cleaned once a yr, and sewed it wheel off. After a number of years I started thinking about purchasing a machine with a larger emb. area, more unique stitching.(On an impulse) purchased a Husq. Diamond, perhaps it was the machine or the operator but it caused me no days of grief, and the auto threader was a nightmare, continually being a pain. Talked to the store owner after I started having trouble. They wanted to charge me $1,000.00 to restock it. Knowing I didn't have that type of money to throw away, I decided to keep it. More nightmares, finally after 2 months I gave up, and bought a Brother's Innov-is 6000-D. The difference for me has been a true blessing, no problems with the bobbin, coming unthreaded, and the threader is an absolute dream. Like many of you, the money came from an inheritance, sometimes I sew all day, and I need a work horse. The 6000-D is it, I hope it stays with me like the Baby Lock did. GD is wanting this machine, but I'm not ready to let it go, haven't needed a 2nd machine, yet, but for me being without a good sewing machine and the internet is much akin to being on another planet. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 AM

I have the 830.....LOVE IT....go for the machine you want!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:38 AM

GO for the Bernina....I have the 830 and LOVE IT. Get the machine you really want and keep the Janome as a backup
Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 AM

I had wanted the 820 from the day it came out. It seemed like a better idea was to wait until 2012 when we were completely done with college tuitions. But, last year at Christmas it was under the tree. When I asked my husband why he did it, he said, " You love it, why not have as much time as possible to enjoy it" We never know what will happen, so lets enjoy it while we can. I have been on that machine everyday since...I love it!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 AM

Hate to sound petty but what "say" does hubby have in YOUR inherited money????? You run, don't walk to the shop to get that machine.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 AM

go for it!! life's too short for us qulters
Old 12-15-2010, 05:15 AM

Buy the Bernina. I say that only because I own a Bernina but it is a oldie Bernina 1530. My husband wants me to buy a new Bernina...but I love the oldie...never have any problems with the old girl. I guess my point is Bernina has a good reputation.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:18 AM

If you like embroidery, get the 830 (if you can afford it) the 820 does not do embroidery. I did something similar & I'm happy that I did. I first bought an 830. I'd also been looking at a Pfaff Creative Vision. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied unless I got one, so I spent the bucks & got the CV. I'm happy with that decision. Each machine does things a bit different, the embroidery hoops on the CV are larger than on the 830, but the 830 is a work horse itself & does marvelous things. My point is this, if the 820 will make you truly happy, get one. I'm completely happy with my decision to get both machines. I have no need now to upgrade to any other machine, I think I have the best of both worlds. Good luck.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 AM

Get what you want now, or you might be sorry later. That money will disappear 20 or 30 dollars at a time, and you wont have anything to show for it.