Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 AM

my boss at where at I used to work had breast cancer one year I made her a quilt for her birthday because I wanted to show her how much I cared about her. She used that quilt all the time and passed with it covering her, her family said she loved that quilt and would rub at it as she was laying in bed. Anyway she had no kids or husband just sisters and her mom I told them I would like it back if they were just going to sell it in a yard sale or something when they took care of her possessions but her mom took it and sleeps under it to this day.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 AM

I am just new on the board but had to reply to you. My father always called me Marmie. He passed away 10 years ago and the only item I have from his estate is a quilt I made for him before he passed away. I cherish it. I personally think that you will also cherish the ones you made. I brought the quilt home and several months later I was so glad I did. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 AM

yes it is too soon to make the decission.....I lost my Mother Sept. "09. I made her a small memory wall hanging.. when dividing her personal item my sisters insisted I take it. I have it hanging in my sewing room.....she too was a quilter and I feel confort having it near while I sew..and I cherish each of her hand made quilts she gave me. I even have her unfinished tops. This year I am gifting my 3 sister a wall hanging for b-days made from a grandmothers flower garden top that Mom had started. God be with you... Blessed are those that mourn.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 AM

I would take them & put them away until later. They may mean more to someone else in your family at a later date. When my sister passed, I took back a small quilt that I had given her, but I sure wish I had gotten my hands on some of the quilts she had made. At the time of her passing, I was too overwhelmed with her vast 2,500+ quilting book collection & living 300 miles away I did not get to what I should have before things were disposed of by her 13 & 17 yr. old grandchildren.

Originally Posted by Marmie
This isn't really a quilting question.But it does have to do with quilts. I recently lost my mother. I had made several quilts for her. My sister has them right now but would like me to come get them.Has anyone else made special quilts for a loved one and gotten them back when they pass away? I just don't know that I want them. Or maybe it's just too soon. One is a Picture quilt, with pictures of her and family. Another is one of sun bonnet Sues and Sams representing all 8 of her children and a couple in the center for her and my father. The second was used at her viewing. I'm wondeering if I should give them away or wait to see if in time it won't hurt so badly to see them. I don't know if anyone else would actually want them. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 AM

I would store them away until you feel the time is right and then do something - don't act rashly
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ncsewer
I think you have good advice here. Store them and later when some time has passed, take another look. Memories are sweeter when some time a gone by.
I agree wholeheartedly. A few years down the road you will probably be so glad that you kept them, you will wonder how you could have thought about giving them away "back when".
Sorry for you loss. Time really is a healer.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 AM

when my mom died, I got all of her quilts - those I made and those of others (my grandmother) I took them becasue I knew I would take care of them. And for my kids and grands later on when I know they will appreciate them. So yes, I would take them back
Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 AM

I made a panel lap quilt " AMAZING GRACE" for my MIL several months before died.Well my children wanted it as a blanket in the coffin.We washed& ironed it & used it. I had decided to give it to her oldest sister who was in a nursing home. My youngest(25) ASKED if she could have it. SO she kept it to remember her "AMAZING GRACE GRAMMA"- that was what she always called herself! LOL!! put out feelers-some of the family might surprise you!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 AM

I agree-wait and see how you feel after giving yourself time to grieve. When my father died 7 years ago, I was handling his estate and had to move rather quickly while trying to settle affairs. I let some things go now that I regret. I speak from experience, you cannot keep everything but give yourself time and think about it before letting sweet memories go.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Marmie
This isn't really a quilting question.But it does have to do with quilts. I recently lost my mother. I had made several quilts for her. My sister has them right now but would like me to come get them.Has anyone else made special quilts for a loved one and gotten them back when they pass away? I just don't know that I want them. Or maybe it's just too soon. One is a Picture quilt, with pictures of her and family. Another is one of sun bonnet Sues and Sams representing all 8 of her children and a couple in the center for her and my father. The second was used at her viewing. I'm wondeering if I should give them away or wait to see if in time it won't hurt so badly to see them. I don't know if anyone else would actually want them. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
I would wait. I would pack them away and give it time before deciding what to do with them. If you have children, they may want them in the future. It's better to wait and know for sure you no longer want them than to give them away and regret it.

*HUGS* I'm sorry for your loss