Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 AM

Our Walmart still has bolts, some fabrics are see-through and others good quality, you get what you pay for so be choosy. I have cut and used the pricer myself at times, but most of the time there is a cutter or a man from the gun department came over and cut fabric. Most of the time the fabric department is the only one I vist when I go there. Hope fabric makes a comeback, it seems to be the only item still made in the USA.

Carol J.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Japonica
Originally Posted by Bostons
Okay, so I don't know if this is true or not so please don't shoot the messenger, BUT...I was purchasing fabric at Wal-Mart tonight and I mentioned to the woman how happy I was that we had such a great fabric dept. b/c I knew so many stores were discontinuing theirs. She said we absolutely weren't and had been getting tons of fabric in lately AND that other stores are going to be BRINGING BACK their fabric departments.

So take that for what it's worth. I know there are a lot of opinions on this topic but for those who love to shop at Wal-Mart, you can keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
For some odd reason I love your avatar!! :roll:
So do I!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 AM

Some really nice Spring fabric at out one Walmart yesterday. I don't know what I'll make but I was afraid it would be gone before I decided. I had to cut the fabric myself and wait for their shorthanded associates to apprear but I got some!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 AM

I dunno...I think its different everywhere. My mom works at my walmart, they recently did away with bolts, and she says they won't be coming back...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bostons
Okay, so I don't know if this is true or not so please don't shoot the messenger, BUT...I was purchasing fabric at Wal-Mart tonight and I mentioned to the woman how happy I was that we had such a great fabric dept. b/c I knew so many stores were discontinuing theirs. She said we absolutely weren't and had been getting tons of fabric in lately AND that other stores are going to be BRINGING BACK their fabric departments.

So take that for what it's worth. I know there are a lot of opinions on this topic but for those who love to shop at Wal-Mart, you can keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
we had a fire in the christ dept before christmas (crazy guy) in our WM and I heard a rumor that when they re-do that dept they are putting fabric back in, may be pre-packaged but they would be good too???
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 AM

I was shopping in a Walmart in New Hampshire and was talking to a gentleman who worked there and he said that Walmart hired a management guy from Target who didn't think the fabric on the bolts was profitable. The man is no longer employed by Walmart. I don't know if it was true but it makes for a good story.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 AM

I certainly hope this is so. I have missed the fabric department at Walmart!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 AM

I assure you NOT ALL WalMarts will follow through with this. I watched a TV special a couple times in last couple years about Walmart and not all Walmarts are equal (the same) in what they sell. If they get rid of something they NEVER bring it back.

All the stores they gutted out, the craft department as we know it is gone and there is NO sewing department, and paper crafts what is left of it has been added to a kids craft area with mostly all kits, no yarn area, no jewelry area and the office supplies have been moved into the areas that were gutted to put it close together with the kids craft section. The only thing of substance adult wise left was the Wilton section for making cakes, parties and next to it some party supplies.

Each store manager determines if they want to let go of something............learned that from our store manager here and also the craft department manager although they still must get approval from headquarters to do so.

They were suppose to gut our craft department next month but was told by the craft department manager that they got a repreive until August by headquarters and it's possible that they will continue here and in the store about 20 miles away because of the socia-economics here with both being close to a military town and also the fact that is the quilting belt of the south so to speak very much like the bible belt of the south.

Yes more fabrics are being brought into our store and only because of all the other stores that are getting rid of there sewing department. The sewing machines, fabric, and notions are over flowing right now at out store.

NOT ALL WALMARTS will get back there craft department especially if it is already gutted out.

I remember about 10 years ago when they downsized our craft department we lost all the needlepoint stuff such as cross stitching, plastic canvas and such as well as all the baskets, leathering materials and tools and I forget what else. All they kept was what we presently have. I do know all fall they got rid of about 3/4th's of the papercrafting department, embellishments and such and put the kids craft department in it's place with tons of kids craft kits.

Also since our getting all these left over fabrics from all those stores that revamped prices are higher than what they were a year ago and we can get better deals traveling to Savannah to the craft stores like Hancocks, JoAnn's and such and get better quality fabric than at Walmarts.

I just ordered a bunch of fabric from Hancock's on line for 50-60% less than what WalMart has their fabric and Hancock's is a better quality.

I did though luck out yesterday at Walmarts and bought the rest of a Christmas bolt of fabric at 75% off. There wasn't much left of the Christmas fabric. Seems everyone jumped on it at end of the year when it was 50% off and than they raised it to 75% off on January 1st.

At the prices they have now at our Walmarts for fabric I'll make a trip to Savannah to JoAnn's and Hancock's and get a better price per yard than Walmart's.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by skyle1968
Ours was closed down too, but they are selling the pre-cut stuff now. I did talk to one of the ladies that has worked in that department for awhile and she said that walmart has a new CEO (I think that's what she said he was hehe) and he's not liking how the company has been being ran (like the old man used to run it) so they are changing alot of things and she said we are getting our bolts and stuff back. Like the first lady said though I'm not sure how true this is so don't shoot the messenger hehe

Sharon

I hope it is true and that they go back to "made in America" as Sam Walton had it when he was still here.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Some of our Walmarts (I have 6 within 30 minutes in any direction) still have bolts. Recently I had my 80yr dad with while I picked out some fabric and enjoyed watching him "ooh and ahh" over it almost as much I did getting the fabric.

Anyway... no one was available to cut it except a very very nice young man that was willing to do it if I was willing to let him (after waiting 10 minutes, I would have let almost anyone cut it). Ended up, I cut it and he ran the pricing gun so we could get it finished up. While I was there, 3 other people came up and wanted fabric cut too. Well....being the shy person that I'm known to be, I cut their fabric also. The poor kid was so grateful for the help and the others laughed when they found out I didn't work there.

I'm crossing my fingers our other local wallys get the fabric back since we're in a rural area.

It is the same here. The ladies that are in the craft department also have to run the office/party supply section which is a distance from the craft department and regular customers have to track them down when they want something cut. They also took away the bell you use to be able to ring in that department. They claim someone took it but my gut tells me some poor employee threw it away some months back. LOL