Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 10-11-2014, 04:23 PM

$10 is a steal for a decent toolbox. Looks like a handy setup. How top heavy is it?
Rodney
Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 AM

As long as I keep plenty of heavy tools in it I won’t have a topple-over concern with it. I have the toolbox loaded with large heavy tools that I seldom use, and I’ve not taken them all out to see how it acts as an empty cabinet since mounting the machine on it. Pressing on the foot plate doesn’t seem to wiggle the cabinet at all, but then the foot plate is really close to one set of wheels, so that probably helps.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-12-2014, 05:39 AM

I pulled up dad's old Shopsmith last night and was imagining a nice Adler perched atop it, but I think that look only works for red cabinets! Instead, I'll have to use the Shopsmith to work on a box and get it fitting the machine with better support.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM

I spent some time yesterday fiddling with my Singer 95-40 to convert it (at least temporarily) into a hand-operated machine. I have a period-correct butcher-block H-leg power stand for it, and a period-correct motor (Singer motor with an Atlas Clutch) for it, but the two parts will have to be married together for the first time to make a unit. I don’t even know if the motor will run, or if the clutch can be made operational, nor do I have room for another power stand, so I want to experiment (denim jeans hemming) with the head using hand power before I go to the trouble of getting the power stand put together.

I came up with another steering wheel spinner knob that clamps on from the outside instead of having straps that loop around through the wheel. The wheel on the 95-40 is a solid disk, and has such a small balance wheel rim that I haven’t been successful yet in clamping the knob to the wheel without the risk of damaging the balance wheel. I will have to come up with a spacer (other than wooden dowels or slivers of wood that I’ve tried) to provide a firm and safe mounting of the knob.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine200_07.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

AHEM - details of that spinner please........
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
AHEM - details of that spinner please........
It’s one type of spinner knob that simply clamps onto the outer rim of the wheel, without having anything looping around the wheel. I put one on my Adler with just a piece of scrap vinyl inserted to help with grip and marring prevention on the rim. It works fine, but the thickness of the rim is much larger on that machine.

They have two bolts and hex nuts to make the clamp. I test-fitted to determine bolt length, and then went to the ACE Hardware for replacements that would be short enough to keep from being knuckle-busters. I can’t remember what the bolt head is called, but it’s tapered like a cone into a matching hole.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine200_08.jpg   machine200_09.jpg   machine200_10.jpg   machine551_30.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I've been messing with 4 dirty old Singer 15s with potted motors. I'm amazed how many different ways a tension can go on a Singer 15... I ran into one that just seemed wrong until I found a really old diagram. Yup it goes somewhat backwards.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]495068[/ATTACH]
and an older one that went together somewhat backwards:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]495069[/ATTACH]
I have one bobbin case between them. grrr DH has been putting foot pedals and wires on them. One got a hand crank - it has the bobbin case... The motor was toast and I had some screws off a junker to hold a belt guard on it.

I also worked on 2 identical looking 328s. I don't know why but I like one better than the other - it doesn't sing quite as loud or something. Both are like new.
Attached Thumbnails singer-15-noses-005.jpg   singer-15-noses-006.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 10-12-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

CD I'm going to have to find the right car parts store.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:26 AM

The common type of spinner knob that has two thin bands that wrap around the wheel should wrap around the balance wheel rim just fine on spoked balance wheels. Here’s one on my Singer 31-15 Centennial that I’ve installed an old large spoked wheel on in place of the small spoked wheel that originally came on it in 1951. The larger wheel came off of a 1937 model 31-15 that was produced back in the treadle days.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine79_16.jpg   machine79_17.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
CD I'm going to have to find the right car parts store.
I doubt if you’ll find a clamp-on type at a parts store. My auto parts store only has the more common (bands) spinner knobs, and were quick to advise me that they’re illegal on Oklahoma Highways. I told them that I didn’t think that they were illegal yet on sewing machines, and they just gave me that “deer-in-the-headlights” look. I had to snag my clamp-on knobs off of eBay.

Since most states have laws against the use of necker knobs on highways, unless you have a Doctor’s certificate that you have a physical need for one, there’s not much call for them except by the lawn tractor and boating people. I think OSHA has some rules against them in the workplace too, but I don’t have any direct information on specifics.

The spinner knobs are highly collectable, especially the older vintage ones and almost any of the girlie ones, so you’ll have to compete with those folks for spinners too. Evidently Corona Beer ones aren’t that collectable. That’s what I have on my Singer 31-15.

CD in Oklahoma

FREE Quilting Newsletter