Holiday Mug Rug Swap!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 AM

I worked cat rescue for years. I have done dog rescue, wild life rescue you name it I worked with them. I am an absolute animal lover. I lost my cat of 18 years ago it was a sad sad day but he had been such a personal and loving animal. A rescue cat. I waited one month and took in another. One who had no home, no chance at life but me.. and I never regret it. I still remember Boris so wonderful and huge.. he had long long black and white hair, beautiful huge green eyes.. and a personality that ruled the house. Period. The rest of the cats gave him birth and my German shepherd was the first to stand back when he waddled through the house I say when your ready give another a chance. Your not replacing him your simply helping someone else who might never make it otherwise.

I woke up to a balmy 27 this morning. I don't mind it in the house but sure don't care for it much when I walk out that door. in like 15 minutes to be exact. ugh! will be dreaming of lovely weather later today. a warm toasty 53 is the expected high. I can hardly wait for winter. cold is just that.. COLD! Gannierosie that sounds marvelous! your fq's and charms would always be welcome here!!! I go through those things like crazy
Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 AM

Just checking in to say"HI" uber busy in the month of October with work so haven't posted in awhile. I'm ready get back to quilting. I've got a few ideas for my partner's MR and have some fabric laid out. I've got a cold coming on and don't like sew when I'm sick. I'm in the process of finishing a baby quilt for this weekend just need a label and then bind it. I've got a year long project that I try to work on everyday. I haven't touched it in a few days. It's a bowtie quilt. My civil war group always has some type of year long projects. They voted on any type of quilt made with a 4 patch. I wasn't crazy about that so I'm going bowties. I needed to make 1200 3 inch (finished) blocks, blocks are made now I'm putting them together into 48 block then will piece into the completed quilt.
I also have been working on the By Thy Hand by Buttermilk Basin. It's a small project every month using fabric and wool. Here's a link to what they look like. http://www.buttermilkbasin.com/shop/By-Thy-Hands.htm I'd like to do the pincushions also.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:50 AM

First let me say my condolences to both Terriamn and Rwquilts on your losses, each in their own way was difficult. Let the good memories take over when you are feeling sad.

My weekends are usually pretty boring I think compared to others. I ran to Joann's to get a pattern so I can start working on drafting a pattern out for my husband's hunting coat that he wants. He's a big man, so I usually make his hunting clothes for him, as they fit better than those he can buy. Next stop was the grocery store and home by lunch time. I had to catch up on my work-work, as I work on the computer from home, and that took me into the evening. Sunday was a lazy day with watching Netflix and tidying up my sewing area and then dinner with my in-laws at Olive Garden, which we have not been to for over a year so it was a nice treat. This coming weekend the highs are only going to be in the 40s here, so it will probably be a baking, chili cooking, and hiding in the sewing room weekend with a trip to a local fabric shop on Monday, since I took a vacation day that day.

On the cat note, however, how do you deal with a cat that is older and does her business on the floor rather than in the litter box? She is 17 years old and just over the past year has decided to use my bedroom floor for her toilet!! I have scrubbed the carpet so many times with pet cleaners, but she still had accidents in there. Does not make for a pleasant sleeping environment. Since the end of June though, she's been moved to the back porch to sleep and eat. She does her business out in the yard and seems to really enjoy it out there. My only concern is for the upcoming winter and it getting too cold for her. I have thought about bringing her inside for the nights but putting her in a pet crate so she cannot do her business in the house and then letting her out at intervals. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Mamaskeeto, if you like to do pincushions, please come and join our swap. We would love to have you!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Terrianm and Rwquilts I'm sorry for your losses! I had a cat for 9 years and had to put her down she got lung cancer and by the time we noticed things weren't right it was too far along. It was a quick and aggressive one! I still think of her now and then and miss her. We lost my aunt unexpectedly on May 12. I was really close with her and miss her something awful! Halloween and Fall are seasons and holidays we shared as favorites! So it is really hard to get into it this year.

Hugs to everyone and I also love to get ideas from Pinterest!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 AM

Rwquilts so sorry for your loss, hope you have lots of wonderful memories.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 AM

I have one suggestion if you have space for it -- I have one of those wire dog crates that I have used for fostering kittens and also when two of my guys had surgery and needed to be kept quiet and confined. The one I have (don't remember the dimensions), is large enough for a litter box, food/water and I put in a raised bed for them to sleep on. It works great!

By the way, I have one perfectly healthy male (rescue) (Frankie) that will piddle or do a pooper whenever he thinks he's afraid to use the litter box because of the older cats harrassment. So I keep him and his buddy Jack in a seperate room at night. I also got all the carpeting pulled in the house, and I have lovely cement floors (the original flooring) that are a creamy brown. It works great in AZ where we rarely get cold. It also works real well for cleaning up after kitties. (no stains!)

Originally Posted by justducky65 View Post
On the cat note, however, how do you deal with a cat that is older and does her business on the floor rather than in the litter box? She is 17 years old and just over the past year has decided to use my bedroom floor for her toilet!! I have scrubbed the carpet so many times with pet cleaners, but she still had accidents in there. Does not make for a pleasant sleeping environment. Since the end of June though, she's been moved to the back porch to sleep and eat. She does her business out in the yard and seems to really enjoy it out there. My only concern is for the upcoming winter and it getting too cold for her. I have thought about bringing her inside for the nights but putting her in a pet crate so she cannot do her business in the house and then letting her out at intervals. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Terriamn and rwquilts,
Sending some "quilty hugs" along with condolences to you both.

Rennie,
I do the fold over binding more often than not... I stitch it by machine if it's a quilt that will get lots of use. By hand if it's something that is more for show...
I can do the other way of binding (in this case "other" is said like it's a 4 letter word...lol) but honestly I just like the fold backing to front binding better.

I always say if we all liked the same things how dull the world would be!

Sneak peeks of my mug rugs:

Kif
Attached Thumbnails img_20141028_143438.jpg   img_20141028_143525.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

love fat quarters

kiffie, I know you have me coz I love cats!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Sorry for your loss ladies..... My heart and prayers are with you.

now.... This mug rug is burning a hole in the door demanding to be posted (had it ready for over a week now) so I am off to the post office tomorrow....... Sorry partner, you will just have to look at the envelope until opening day!

hugs

Caroline

p.s. When is opening day?????