Ever Worry about Posting?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 PM

I bought a house 2 years ago, plus I'm an RN and have other specialty certifications, so there is no privacy for me.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
rb.

Guess I should add that I have been stalked...twice. Once by a psycho female, and once by an ex-boyfriend. Both occurances long before the term stalking was used, and long before the internet.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM

It's google earth..you can put in most any address and it will zoom right down to the front door!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
RST

I do sometimes wonder about the wisdom of posting a lot about the high end machines one owns, or photographs in which valuables might be visible in the background. But for the most part, the topics covered on this board are not terribly likely to be high interest to the criminal element. Even the sewing rooms stocked to the gills with great fabric stashes aren't probable theft concerns . . . unless the price of cotton goes much higher than anyone anticipates.

RST
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM

Nope! Why worry? Can't change it unless you go underground. (not dead underground, but hiding) and I don't know if my machines would like the dampness.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
No worries with me....The digital camera I use does not have GPS capability ...and... I do not publicize my daily activities/routines as some folks are prone to do.

Please be aware......If pics are taken with a device (aka phone) that is equipped with GPS, the exact location of where the pic was taken can be itentified.
There is a site, can't remember the name that posted your public info, so curiosity got the best of me, I went to the site and posted my name and waaalaaa there I was, map to my house and all my address info, included my phone number, even had a picture of my driveway and I was like how in the heck or when did they do this......

with utility companys gives out your info...

I wish I knew who took that picture of my home, jeep and driveway to my house, cause I thinking lawsuit...

Thanks to phone companys, and electric company's, ect.
I think Google did have vans go down most streets in the USA and take pictures for their "Street View" Don't think there is anything anyone can do about it, they were on a public street, it's like being able to identify someone in the background in a photo in the newspaper. No lawsuits there.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM
rb.

Actually, you can tell Google to remove your house from street view.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 PM

My Dh says put up a sign, "Have a shotgun loaded three days of the week, you figure out which which three days." Plus an electric gate helps...Can't do much about the pictures on google with a big star over the top of your house.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM

I worry about posting due to lack of confidence in myself.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
It's "possible" that the pic of your house is from your cities property records. I'm not sure that this is the case here but it could well be. You could check with your city records (call & ask if you can do it on-line) and you may find the exact same picture. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
No worries with me....The digital camera I use does not have GPS capability ...and... I do not publicize my daily activities/routines as some folks are prone to do.

Please be aware......If pics are taken with a device (aka phone) that is equipped with GPS, the exact location of where the pic was taken can be itentified.
There is a site, can't remember the name that posted your public info, so curiosity got the best of me, I went to the site and posted my name and waaalaaa there I was, map to my house and all my address info, included my phone number, even had a picture of my driveway and I was like how in the heck or when did they do this......

with utility companys gives out your info...

I wish I knew who took that picture of my home, jeep and driveway to my house, cause I thinking lawsuit...

Thanks to phone companys, and electric company's, ect.
The County's property records are definitely public records, and they have pretty good photos. Guess it is just something we have to live with