Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing? >

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM

We love it,clean,neat,nice workers. Sign up for thier sales fliers, and you will get one every week. The clerks are happy tell you how to use all the coupons, savings are good. Choices of material great , some thing for every one.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM

I personally do not like the quality of their fabric for cottons .I machine appliqued place mats for my table .They were used daily and washed and dried frequently I used both joann and quilt store fabrics.Surprise surprise after a few months the joanns fabric had lost a lot of design in the print and had a muddy look and the tone on tone was no longer tone on tone.The quilt store fabrics were still bright and looked good I did not do this for a test because at that time I was using anything available but not now.I also saw a 10 year old quilt made from joann cotton and it too was badly faded.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i agree with the majority - its not worth a long drive.

its good for 50% coupons on bolts of batting
I agree. They used to be pretty good at our local store but now the prices are close to the same as LQS. They have a "super" store in a town 5 hours from here and I try to stop in when I am in that area and at least look. I do buy their batting when 50% off.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM

We have two JoAnns here. One is really nice. The other one is a dump. You pick.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Ditto what everyone else said...fabric and crafts, including cake making, etc. I just go for the fabrics, notions, beads, etc.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 AM

There are regular-sized stores and superstores. The superstores are big and have lots and lots of different items but the regular stores have limited stuff. I have a farther drive to (a regular)JoAnns than to Hancocks, Michaels or my LQS so it's rare that I go unless I have a specific need and a good coupon.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM

Besides work, Joann's is my home away from home. It's where I go for most of my fabrics etc. The larger stores are nice with the variety of seasonal items, framing, beading and FABRICS!! Love it! I always go with a coupon!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM

If its quilt fabric you want, don't bother, not the best. Coupons great on notions.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
You are missing nothing much in regards to fabric choices. Cheap staples (batting) with coupons are a plus. Sorry if I offended anyone with this opinion.
Hey..we are all allowed our opinions without offense. smile
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ruthrec
Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Sorry but there isn't one close and I've just never had the need to go to JoAnn's. Is it crafts (like Michael's), is it fabric (like Hancock's)? Are the discounts better than anyone else's? Convince me I need to go.
I am not a big fan of JoAnn's. We don't have one here but did have in Austin. It was close to where I lived and I went there but I would as soon go to Walmart and I don't like WalMart either. We have a Hancock's and after this last fiasco with the bleeding fabric (my second experience with that) I am leery of Hancock's. I will have to drive about 35 miles to a quilt shop and I don't know how they are either, so I may just starting ordering from Connecting Threads. If anyone knows of any reason not to shop at Connecting Threads I would like to hear your opinions.
So far I am happy with connecting threads. Last bunch I got they even send a bit morethan is ordered. did not realize this until I read it on here that the better sites do this. smile