Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Broken toe - will it ever heal? >
  • Broken toe - will it ever heal?

• Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM

I broke my big toe on May 19th and there was so much pain I could not even walk on my foot or even put a sheet on the toe. The toe was swollen and black and blue, by the next day my entire foot swelled up above the ankle. I ended up in an orthopedic shoe and missed a week of work. Dr. said I have to wear the shoe for 8 weeks. The toe is still very sensitive to touch. Thank goodness it summer so I can wear sandals.

I think there must be a lot of nerves in your feet, and I know there is a lot of blood vessels, otherwise you wouldn't have the swelling.

Believe me when I say I feel your pain. :-(
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:03 AM

I thought to keep it from moving you are supposed to tape the injured toe to the toe next to it. You should see an MD.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 AM

I whacked mine on the tub getting in and I swear it took almost two months before it didn't hurt anymore. Hope yours heals faster.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 AM
    Power Poster

I broke one toe and jammed another one. took weeks to feel better. Doctor's don't do much. just wear shoes that feel good or don't touch that toe.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 AM

Broke little toe - had it taped to the next one. I used crutches and wore flip-flops for weeks. Boss didn't say anything. I did wear 'real' shoes for the church part of a wedding I was standing up in. Kicked those off as soon as the service was done.

I agree with using an icepack and keeping it elevated.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Yep-I cracked my poor little toe on a chair leg -hurt like the dickens! I was leaving to take my kids school clothes shopping, I made it until 2 or 3 and then had to bail because my toe hurt so bad with every step. It seems they do take a long time to heal as we keep walking on it. My favorite part is when I did the same thing to the same toe several months later-thought I was going to die!
    Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 AM

I thought I had broken my toe.. was in pain for several weeks. Gave in went to the Doctor. I broke a bone in my foot. Had to have surgery, waiting to long I had cause stress fractures to the rest of my foot. Its been two month since my surgery still having problems
    Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 AM

I stubbed my second toe on a metal folding stool when I was painting. I had done it before, but this time it turned an angry purple. I had it exrayed and I did break it.they told me to put gauze between it and the next one and tape it together for 3weeks. Then a nurse told me to wear tight shoes for a while to keep it in place. It hurt to do that so I didn't . That was 2yrs. Ago sometimes it aches but other than a bump on it, it's back to normal. But when it first happened I couldn't stand even a sheet touching it in bed. It happened in Feb. So it hurt to put on boots and shoes for quite a while. I hope that your foot heals up quickly for you.
    Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM

broke my big toe awhile back didn't go to the DR they really can't do anything, I bought a cheap pair of tennis shoes cut out the area where my big toe would be so no rubbing and I could at least wear shoes, took almost 6 wks I elevated it when I was sitting down, thats about you can do
    Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Someone mentioned wearing sandals.I've never worn them since I broke my big toe when I walked into a musical stand tripod.
    The nail was gone before I looked down & was a long time healing.Now ,only closed toe shoes for me.Can also wear Birkenstocks because the foot is lower than the edge of the shoe.