sleep apnea

Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Why, thank you, Lara!!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Please use it! My husband uses one and honestly we both sleep much better. It does take time to get used to it but it is such a blessing to have it.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM

My husband had a mini stroke on New Year's Eve.

we didn't realize it as it only effected his one hand and all feelings returned in about 40 minutes.. but we went to the doctor's on Monday morning... we were told if it happened again to immediately call 911.

Anyway, after many tests, x/rays, etc......., the doctor told him that he had sleep apnea. He was tested years ago but that doctor did not go into testing like this current one.

All tests done, the doctor prescribed the apnea machine and the hardest thing was finding the proper mask. He tried one and then another....and the gentleman at the medical supply company was unbelievably kind and so understanding.

He has been on the machine since the middle of January and believe me he sleeps most nights like a baby. He has found that he can sleep on his back or either side....and he won't even take his daily nap without his mask.

His little satchel goes with us wherever we go..land, sea or air.

Do you watch "MIKE & MOLLY" on TV? He was using one on one of the shows and it was hilarious.......

Tell your hubby to definitely go for it......it has been a God send for my husband......
Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago. I use a CPAP and sleep all night long, first time in years. It does take some time adjusting, but give it a chance - it works miracles. Try the pillow mask and give it a good try, it is better than the full face masks, make sure you rinse it out everyday and keep it clean. I put my machine on the floor and I don't have to worry about pulling it off of a nightstand. Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 AM

depends how severe, I have mild and don;t use anything but if it is severe I would use it, it apparently helps. If you are heavy, they say losing weight also helps.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Three women at quilt retreat, all sharing a room, all with CPAP machines.......First of all, the hilarity of finding electrical outlets for all of us....We were under beds, snaking cords everywhere......Then, the next morning, we three were in the hall, in our rigs, singing Skin-A-Ma-Rinky-Dink in our jammies, while twirling our hoses......cracked up the rest of the retreaters........and we found out that several more of the ladies had their machines with them.
I've been a "hose-head" <G> for 2 years now and don't regret a minute of it. My blood pressure dropped 15 points after I started on CPAP....I was headed for a stroke........
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaK
Three women at quilt retreat, all sharing a room, all with CPAP machines.......First of all, the hilarity of finding electrical outlets for all of us....We were under beds, snaking cords everywhere......Then, the next morning, we three were in the hall, in our rigs, singing Skin-A-Ma-Rinky-Dink in our jammies, while twirling our hoses......cracked up the rest of the retreaters........and we found out that several more of the ladies had their machines with them.
I've been a "hose-head" <G> for 2 years now and don't regret a minute of it. My blood pressure dropped 15 points after I started on CPAP....I was headed for a stroke........
We were informed by our supplier that when going on a cruise, to be sure to take an extension cord.......for the above reason...

what great advice...the plugs are on one side of the room..away from the beds !!!!!!

We go prepared wherever.......
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher
I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and it has been recommended to used a CPAP (?). Does anyone use it and are there any disadvantages? Thanks
My husband and I both use CPAP. It has improved our sleep tremendously. I even use it on the rare days I get to take a nap. It only took a few nights to get used to, and has made such a difference in my daily life.

The only downside for me is having to pack it up and take it along when we go on a trip, but I will always take it with me, even if I have to leave some items of clothing out of my suitcase.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Hubby has sleep apnea and uses the CPAP. He has to make sure that he is clean-shaven or the mask will leak but I don't think you will have that problem, lol.

When he forgets to put it on he snores and then I poke him to put it on. He sleeps better with it and is more rested (better oxygen distribution). To me it sounds like white noise and it actually helps me fall asleep easier.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM

The last doctor who treated my husband also has sleep apnea..

He told us that when he travels, he tells them ....

"take my clothes, do not touch my machine"