sleep apnea

Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 AM

I use a CPAP. I love it. It is a bit of a bother, but well worth the easy breathing and the sound sleep. It takes a little (very little) getting used to. There is a pillow that makes sleeping easier. I use a soft pillow under my cheek when I sleep on my side. Write if you want to.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by Greenheron
It helps to have a sense of humor.
This is so true.

We used to tell people, between his CPAP and my mouth guard NO WONDER we didn't have kids!
Originally Posted by JulieR
Next, if someone passes gas in the night you won't smell it anymore, so you can use that to torture your loved ones.

On the other hand, if you or someone else passes gas too close to the machine's air intake... :twisted:

As a corollary to that last point, take care where you put the dog's bed.
JulieR, you are just TOO Funny!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by thenonnielady
I use a CPAP. I love it. It is a bit of a bother, but well worth the easy breathing and the sound sleep. It takes a little (very little) getting used to. There is a pillow that makes sleeping easier. I use a soft pillow under my cheek when I sleep on my side. Write if you want to.
I, too, have a special pillow -- it's a water pillow. You fill the pillow with water and it's like a mini waterbed. Never is cold even when the house is in the 40s (when we go camping). It allows your head to sink in and you don't feel the mask on the side of your head like you do on a regular pillow!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 AM

I've been on a Cpap for years and years. I literally cannot breathe lying down without it now. Before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, I used to fall asleep while on the computer and my head would fall and hit the keyboard - I used to go to asleep on the john and wake up as I was falling off - was tired all the time. The Cpap has been a life saver literally. When I went for the sleep test, the nurses told me that they had never seen anyone stop breathing as often as I did while asleep (many many times per minute.) This can be very dangerous to your heart and can also cause strokes.
It is a little strange getting used to the mask, but believe me the alternative of not wearing it is not a good choice. I consider it a life saver and would never think of not using it now - putting it on is just as natural as breathing now.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 AM

I have one and it has made me feel so much better. Not as tired. Disadvantage would be if SO were to wake up, see mask and scream!! LOL
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 AM

My health has improved greatly since using one. I have 15lbs pressure and the cost and style differ according to your needs. As I am a mouth breather, I have to wear a full mask and use a humidifier as well. I can't go to sleep without it. Before I purchased it, I was rarely getting more than 2 hours of sleep every night and was very sick with related illnesses. Now the other illnesses are under control and the lag time for me to get to sleep is only about 10 minutes.I have more energy and lost 15 kilos in weight without doing anything else except use the CPAP machine. So you see, I am an ambassador for the machine, whilst I was a skeptic beforehand.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher
I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and it has been recommended to used a CPAP (?). Does anyone use it and are there any disadvantages? Thanks
My husband & I both use them. I know there are several kinds out there. We both use the one that has a mask that goes over nose only and with straps that go around back of head. Here is the link to what we use. Although we go through a medical supple store where we live. It looks like this. If you want more opinions pm. me and I will be glad to tell you more.

http://www.cpap-supply.com/CPAP-Masks-s/13.htm
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM

I've had mine 8+ years and immediately felt better after using it. I thought it was my husband with the sleep problem since he always got out of bed to sleep on the couch! Even told the Dr. that but he still wanted me to get a sleep study. Turns out my upper palette relaxes when I sleep and blocks air flow. I know so many people now that use CPAP machines and am positive many more need them. It helps to have a sence of humor about it too. At first I didn't but now I know so many people have them I don't care any more. At first I sounded like Darth Vador with it on and I'd say to my husband in the dark, "Hey baby, feeling frisky?" which just cracked us up. Now after so many years the Darth Vador sound is gone, sigh. I bought alot of fabric once when I went to a big quilt show and my quilting friend threatened to kink my tubing and steal all my fabric once... I have alot of fun with it like at quilt retreats and with friends and I feel rested in the mornings.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by olebat
And now, for something completely different - My genteel, lady-like manner will not allow me to use the words I'd like to use to express my opinion of the c-pap. I got far less sleep than I had before the trial, the morning headaches were severe, I became zombie-like with a flat affect. I was a crank, and my husbands' professional opinion, (medical profession)was that I was bordering on suicidal. I need a full face mask because I am a mouth breather. I know that I have a deviated nasal septum, which is most likely a big part of my problem. However, Medicare won't allow the ENT docs to examine me until I go through all of this c-pap rig-a-ma-role.

Many of my c-pap friends are amazed to hear my stories because they absolutely love the way their machines work, and the way they feel. It just didn't work for me. Hope you have better results.
Sounds like you have been given the wrong diagnosis from your sleep study.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Therese
I've had mine 8+ years and immediately felt better after using it. I thought it was my husband with the sleep problem since he always got out of bed to sleep on the couch! Even told the Dr. that but he still wanted me to get a sleep study. Turns out my upper palette relaxes when I sleep and blocks air flow. I know so many people now that use CPAP machines and am positive many more need them. It helps to have a sence of humor about it too. At first I didn't but now I know so many people have them I don't care any more. At first I sounded like Darth Vador with it on and I'd say to my husband in the dark, "Hey baby, feeling frisky?" which just cracked us up. Now after so many years the Darth Vador sound is gone, sigh. I bought alot of fabric once when I went to a big quilt show and my quilting friend threatened to kink my tubing and steal all my fabric once... I have alot of fun with it like at quilt retreats and with friends and I feel rested in the mornings.
ROTFLMAO! Therese, you are proof positive that having a good sense of humor is a gift from God when it comes to dealing with difficult life experiences! Kudos to you! :thumbup: