sleep apnea

Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Cyn

THEY ARE THE MOST WONDERFUL PIECES OF EQUIPTMENT EVER! My husband took a month and half to get use to it at age 46. Once he did, he actually got a good night's rest, feels better, wakes up on his own and has great days whether he is working or playing. We are so happy to give up a litle snuggling (snuggle first and sleep later :) We have a king size bed and always try to get them when we are traveling. The cats and dogs don't mind it so we are all happier. I get a good night's sleep because I am not constantly pushing him all night to make him breathe!!! We don't go anywhere without it!! Even Spain, cruises and even around the state :) Try it :)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Good luck with it. I guess I'm next. I'm suppose to go have the test but I broke my leg 2 weeks before my appt. That was February. I still need to get another appt. I've chickened out a few times now. :shock:
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM

I was ready to chicken out and am/ was strongly against the thing but after reading these comments, I am more able to make the adjustment when the time comes.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Please do give it a try - it could make a big difference to how you feel.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

I recently read that it takes about 4 -5 weeks to get use to it, so be patient. The device will help you not only sleep better, but lose weight and add a general overall better health.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lass
I recently read that it takes about 4 -5 weeks to get use to it, so be patient. The device will help you not only sleep better, but lose weight and add a general overall better health.
I wish it would make me lose weight.

It depends on the person if you have to get used to it. I didn't, and it might have something to do with attitude or maybe even the severity of your sleep apnea. My diagnosis is Critical Sleep Apnea, so it is pretty severe.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM

I have to agree with all the comments here in favor of the CPAP. My DH was a bear to live with because he was tired all the time. He knew he had sleep apnea but refused to get help for it. I finally demanded he go...or else!! Since he started using it and really getting sound sleep, his mood is much better, and our marriage is much happier!! The machine is very very quiet...I don't hear it at all.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by lass
My DH adapted to it much faster than that...probably by end of Week 1 he was fine.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM

I was diagnosed as a child and I was to try the machine but couldnt handle it because I am so clusterfobic I would go into a huge panic. I am now 24 and still do nothing for it.

My dad also has sleep Apnea, he had his adnoids removed and so did his brother but that did nothing for them. It freaks us out to sit next to my dad on the coach and listen to him snore and stop breathing.

They thought surgery may help me so the can make my throat wider because it is not the average size. Never did have the surgery. Every once in awhile DH checks me to see if I am alive because I stop breathing lots.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM

My brother has been working in sleep research for over 15 years, starting out at one of the top medical schools in the country and is now employed by one of the manufacturers of the portable CPAP machines. There are many studies being done to find the relationships of sleep and different diseases. Treating sleep apnea is a very good thing to do for your overall health.