sleep apnea

Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 PM

My DH uses a cpap and it has saved his life! Now I have been diagnosed with all of the different apneas and the doctor put me on a Bipap machine. I forget to breathe at night! Well I also have claustophobia (sp) so I am having a terrible time keeping the mask on more than 2 hours! Don't know what I will do!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
My DH uses a cpap and it has saved his life! Now I have been diagnosed with all of the different apneas and the doctor put me on a Bipap machine. I forget to breathe at night! Well I also have claustophobia (sp) so I am having a terrible time keeping the mask on more than 2 hours! Don't know what I will do!
Have you considered anti-anxiety medication, or at least something before bed to help you relax and sleep?

Claustrophobia is just like any other -phobia (mine is spiders), and it can usually be treated. Speak with your doctor, and s/he might have some options for you to try.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I am always surprised how many people just give up. Remember, you are taking your life in your own hands.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Have you considered anti-anxiety medication, or at least something before bed to help you relax and sleep?

Claustrophobia is just like any other -phobia (mine is spiders), and it can usually be treated. Speak with your doctor, and s/he might have some options for you to try.
I have had severe bronchial asthma since I was 3 months old so the thought of something covering my face is a real concern. I know I need to use the machine but it's a real nightmare when you wear it and sleep doesn't come!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM

My daughter works for a dentist that specializes in oral facial pain and sleep apnea treatment.
There is an alternative to the CPAP called an oral sleep appliance. The Oasys and Somnodent sleep appliances are the two appliances her office uses most often and have about >95% success rate. The appliances are like wearing a bulky retainer, less constricting, no soft noise, portable, decreases chances of infections and there's a higher compliance rate with these appliances compared to the CPAP.

Check out these websites for more information and talk to your ENT's about alternative treatment. www.oasyssleep.com and www.SomnoMed.com

Hope this helps you all to a better nights sleep and a healthier lifestyle!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM

my dh has really bad sleep apnea. He hates his machine and won't use it. It gives him sinus infections and he would rather not use it. He doesn't snore as loud as he use to but still I can hear him stop breathing. It bothers me that he doesn't use it but he is a big boy and I can only do so much. The dr won't give you a medication to make you sleep because you may not wake up..
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM

OOPS . . . . see my note 2 above this one.
The web sites aren't in blue . . . therefore, not ready for just a click away. Should be:

http://www.oasyssleep.com/

http://www.somnomed.com.au/Home.aspx

OOPS . . . these aren't in blue either. Maybe when I send this off? Well . . . anyway, it's worth the time to check out these appliances.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
The dr won't give you a medication to make you sleep because you may not wake up..
Oh. Right. Of course.

This is why I'm not in healthcare. LOL!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM

hubby was without CPAC for the three nights of the weekend........thanks to Irene.

Got electric back yesterday afternoon and I finally got a good night's sleep.....no turning and checking him!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 AM

My hubby is classed as severe and uses a CPAP. I cant sleep now unless I can hear the soft humming from the machine. Funniest thing is when the seal isnt tight enough and he starts blowing what we call face farts. The dog went totaly crazy first time she heard it.