sleep apnea

Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I have a big problem - have to get up at least twice every night to go to the bathroom and am thinking that's going to be a big hassle to unhook and rehook myself up. Anyone else have that problem?[/quote]

naw, after even a nite or two the gear can be slipped on and off. i don't use the latches or anything and it has worked fine for me for years.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM

My sis could never adjust to the CPAP, so she stopped using it. She was in the hospital for nose surgery and the O2 completely eliminated the sleep apnea. It took awhile and some tests before the insurance company got on board with that, but they provided her a refurbished model and she's been using that for 3 years.

She has since lost more than 60 lbs, and while she has more to go, it seems that the sleep apnea has actually stopped now. They are going to do testing this winter and if that is the case, she won't need the refurbished unit any longer either.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Oh by all means, use it...I had sleep apnea and acid reflux and headaches all the time. Once on the cpap all that went away and I was getting a decent night's sleep. In fact, last night I was out of distilled water and slept without it for the first time in years, and was awake lots, I'm sure from snoring and not breathing properly. I bought several gallons today so I won't be out. It did take a little while to get used to the mask and I find if I don't change out the mask every 3-4 months it keeps me awake leaking air and squealing. I even take it on trips with me and don't care who sees me at night with the mask on. I know I get a much better night of sleep with it.

Good luck with yours and give it some time to get used to. If one mask doesn't work for you, try a different one. I find that the nose mask works best for me and doesn't make me claustrophobic like I fear the nose and mouth mask would.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:37 PM

i too have it. i ws getting more tired during the day and had snored for 25 yrs til i had to get a seperate bedroom...my husband is a lite sleeper.
it is worth it. mine rides under the nose. never have had any trouble using it! i trid the 'cap' that fits over the entire nose, but didn't like it. this one was so much better.
some lpeople breathe thru their mouth part of the time, so need one that fits over both nose & mouth.
sure makes it easy to travel and both of us get a good night's sleep.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:40 PM

My husband uses one. I always kid him that if he had to vacate the house quickly, he'd grab it first and then call for me to follow him out.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM

My hubby has used one for 28 years. He quickly became used to it once I did not have to poke him every 3-5 min to make him breathe again. I also sleep much better. I was dx with the not breathing deep enough and was given one to use. After losing 34 lbs, I find I no longer use mine, but am keeping in case I start to feel that Tired all the Time feeling. Good luck to you. The newer models are so quiet, and many different types of masks are available, Pegeth
Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 AM

I have used one for 6 years. Haven't slept a night without it. I feel so refreshed. I never knew how real sleep felt. I have always woken up 2-3 times a night for no reason. Love it. I even nap with it. I have a sis and 3 friends that have a c-pap and don't use it. They don't like the way it looks. I am not not a prude. I just put it on when the lights go out and I roll over . hehehehehe
If you don't use it every night you get out of the habit. I love it and sorry I didn't do something about it earlier.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Be persistent if it doesn't work as you expect it to in the beginning. Keep up with your Dr.'s appts and help your Dr. find the best solution for you. I tend to make do and this is not good when it comes to apnea.
The machines have really improved over the last five years. I love my new one with the humidifier built right in. A post earlier this summer on this board convinced me to go back to see my Dr. We are working on making adjustments to improve things. I did switch to a different style mask and really prefer it.
Good luck and stick with it. (The alternative of not doing anything is really scary medically speaking).
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilter_kjm
I have used one for 6 years. Haven't slept a night without it. I feel so refreshed. I never knew how real sleep felt. I have always woken up 2-3 times a night for no reason. Love it. I even nap with it. I have a sis and 3 friends that have a c-pap and don't use it. They don't like the way it looks. I am not not a prude. I just put it on when the lights go out and I roll over . hehehehehe
If you don't use it every night you get out of the habit. I love it and sorry I didn't do something about it earlier.
Seriously? They don't like the way it LOOKS?

I hope they look good in their caskets. :shock:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 PM

I am clostraphobic as well. I found what is called a pillow mask. I no longer sleep with my mouth open. I know what it is like to get sleep. I couldn't live without it . Love it! feel so refreshed in the am. I am also from Michigan. what city are you from.
Quilter_kjm