sleep apnea

Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
my dh has really bad sleep apnea. He hates his machine and won't use it. It gives him sinus infections and he would rather not use it. He doesn't snore as loud as he use to but still I can hear him stop breathing. It bothers me that he doesn't use it but he is a big boy and I can only do so much. The dr won't give you a medication to make you sleep because you may not wake up..
My doc lets me have sleep meds and i use them all the time. in fact, i'm embarrassed to tell you how much meds i take to get to sleep...but sleep is that important to me, i'm dead without it.

i don't use the water with mine and never have, but we live in wet country (Ga), maybe that would cut down on the infections? Or have 2 sets of gear and alternate, allowing each to fully dry over a 24 hour period. Has he talked to his doc about it? Or his cpap supplier? They can sometimes be really helpful.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
I have a big problem - have to get up at least twice every night to go to the bathroom and am thinking that's going to be a big hassle to unhook and rehook myself up. Anyone else have that problem?
naw, after even a nite or two the gear can be slipped on and off. i don't use the latches or anything and it has worked fine for me for years.[/quote]

During the brief trial, I just unplugged the hose from the mask. Much easier than removing the entire thing.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 AM

My c-pap follow up (was unable to survive with it): Will have surgery to reduce the size of the turbinates, repair the deviated septum, and trim the soft pallet. If that is insufficient, will go back for a trim of something bellow the tongue. Sounds painful - not excited. Looking forward to relief.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM

I just unplug the hose form my mask if I have to get up at night because I don't want to mess with the seal of my mask if I take it off.
Interesting note: My humudifier smelled "scorched" one night and stopped working. Come to find out, the unit I have (M series of Resmed) has been recalled. So now I have to send it in to get a new one. It's an older machine, I think I got it in 2005. FYI.