Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • What do you like best and least about your sewing space? >
  • What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

• What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 PM
    Power Poster

mamatobugaboo:
    i love that I have been able to take over about 1/4 of our unfinished basement as my sewing room. It's open to everything, there is a window, decent lighting and I can easily temporarily bleed into other spaces down there if I need to! There's even room (barely) in my space to finish putting together my quilt frame!

what i dislike the least is that i haven't taken the initiative to get more outlets put in, and because it is an unfinished basement with my sewing spot at a window, in MN, it gets cold. There is one outlet on my 1/2 of the basement and I have the phone, heater fan, iron, radio and sewing machine all hooked up to that one outlet (with extension cords and power strips!), so I can't run the heater and the iron at the same time....

guess it's time to call the electrician!

love how you started with 14 and then said, "my half"...sounds like me! lol!
    the thing i like most, which is a hard choice bc i have so many, many things i love about my sewing room, but like others on here, things changed for the better over the years so, I am going with: a room of my own where I can mess and gaum and close the door and walk away from it and no one can see 'presents'.
    What do i like the least? it's such a small thing cause i am in love with it all since hubby built new shelves for christmas: when I want to go to closet it's a little cramped manuevering around the maze of furniture, but it's the best it's ever been. i remember when I was in a little corner in computer/guest room, (8x11), and had two tables and one chair and just turned around in the chair, no place to lay out fabrics, no design board, no pegboard, fabric stuffed under tables, etc. Compared to now I am in quilting heaven!
    I have a cutting/design table. An office chair that swivels. A 6' sewing table with my machine and serger. Pegboard above that, great lighting. shelves galore, a karaoke machine so my grandbaby can sing while I quilt...I could go on and on, it's so wonderful. :D C

Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM

I love the drafting table I have -2- of those babies at the office but they are in use. I love my mural my friend painted for me.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-40434.jpe   attachment-40525.jpe   attachment-40591.jpe  
    Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Oh, Nanciii, that's beautiful!!!!! You're so lucky to have a friend to do that for you!!
    Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 PM

I didn't really answer the question either. I really enjoy the fact that I am in the family room where the computer are and a couch and the fireplace. I love it when my DH or the kids(when they are home) come and join me in my room. I don't like being isolated from everyone else. I also love the fact that I have a whole wall of built in cabinets that are just mine. They are filled with only my quilting stuff, with the exception of the laptop computer. I have a great sewing table that my machine sinks into so I have a level surface to sew on and it has an extension for sewing those large pieces. I have a cutting table at standing height and my floor is one that I can roll my chair from sewing table to cutting table to ironing board without getting up. I wish I had a design wall, and will have to figure that one out eventually. I keep a Bose dock with my ipod in here so I have music, lots of natural light and a sliding glass door. It would be nice to spread out a little more, but then there wouldn't be room for my family!!!

Um...... These cabinets are totally full now. I can't fit in any more fabrics. I have 9 60 qt rubbermaid totes full of fabric in the garage too.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22281[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-22281.jpe   attachment-36788.jpe   attachment-36789.jpe  
    Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 AM
    Power Poster

wocheemama!!! LOL, JimsGem, I feel better about the amount of fabrics I have now. woo hoo, would i like to come to your house. 9 x 60 quarts. yeehaw!!! :D :D :D :wink: C
    Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 AM

That's the look I'm talking about. I have lots of natural light from the sliding door to the deck and we put in 2 ceiling lights with natural lighting bulbs. Love your cabinets! Mine would never stay so neat. I see you sorted fabric by colors/blends. That's what I'm working on. I have 2 large filing cabinets with deep drawers for storage. And 2 large tables with adjustable height legs that I currently have L-shape. I have several featherweights, and other machines that I like to rotate using. Only one computerized machine that I am still learning to use for the different stitches. I do work full time with the craziest hours so I guess I just need to spend the time getting organized. Also have 4 dogs, 3 cats, and a most wonderful husband who does the cooking. My son is grown and living in Mobile AL while in the Coast Guard. Enough about me! I love Nancii's murals! and the saying on the wall. So cool!
    Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I also love the fact that I have a whole wall of built in cabinets that are just mine.
    Gayle, I have to tell you I love your fabric closet. I am in the process of "finishing" up my sewing room. It's basically four walls at the moment. I showed your cabinets to my cabinet maker and said, this is what I want. They'll be here in a week or so. I can hardly wait! Meanwhile my stash has been moved to the guest room. (I can have no overnight guests for at least a month now!). I'm also getting a counter with drawers underneath, book shelves over the counter and a cutting table on wheels. I'll post some photos when I finally get my 'ideal' room all set up. This is my Christmas/birthday/valentine/St. Patrick's Day/Easter/Fourth of July/Thanksgiving Day present!
    So Thank you so much for posting your pictures, Gayle. I appreciate your sharing. I am a copying you! :D and can hardly stand the wait!

The other things I like about my sewing room are the sewing tables with the sewing machine sitting down at table height. My arms don't get tired sewing any more. That was a huge discovery!
    Old 01-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Gayle, your collection is awesome; but your storage units are even more awesome!! I have one question (well, I have more, but I'll ask one) -- how do you fold your fabrics so uniformly? Ok, and two, are all those fat quarters are do you have yardage in there somewhere?
    Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 PM

I used 4x8 sheet of styrofoam from Home Depot. Cost was $6.99 used paneling nails to tack into the drywall, no major damage if it needs to come down. Then pinned an inexpensive vinyl tablecloth flannel backed, the cheap ones from dollar store. $2.00. This way I can position my blocks, and I do a lot of quilt as you go panels, then I can pin through the styrofoam to carry the weight of the panels!
    Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
    Gayle, your collection is awesome; but your storage units are even more awesome!! I have one question (well, I have more, but I'll ask one) -- how do you fold your fabrics so uniformly? Ok, and two, are all those fat quarters are do you have yardage in there somewhere?
    All the fabrics in my cabinets are yardage. The smallest pieces in there are 1/2 yards. The upper left cabinet is all back size pieces, 5 or more yards, some of them are 12-15 yards, on the left side of each color section are folds of fabrics that are 3 plus yards (I have 2 more buckets of "backs" in the garage" for all my yardage over 3 yards I use my 6 x 24 ruler, I roll the fabric around the ruler and the pull the ruler out halfway and fold in half so the "package" is about 7 x 11" or so. The stuff under 3 yards is folded in to pieces approx 4 x 11 I'm thinking if I ever refold, I may do it around a 4 x 24 ruler. I like having the stuff folded differently according to size than I can at a glance see what I have enough of for a border, focus fabric etc. All my fat quarters fill 3 drawers of the rolling plastic drawer units under the cutting tables.
    I have 2 buckets of Flannels out in the garage as well, they did not fit inside :oops: