Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gender Neutral baby quilt??? >
  • Gender Neutral baby quilt???

• Gender Neutral baby quilt???

Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 AM

I agree, make the quilt you planned. If the room Moms want something else let them make it. OOPS I got impatient and clicked again! Comes with old age!
    Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 AM

One good approach is to find a juvenile print that you like and use the colors in that. Fabric designers spend a lot of time figuring out what works--might as well take advantage of it. I do like bright colors for babies, rather than the pastels and have read that they respond better to brights.
    Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Well, actually babies like strong,(like primary) colors and that works well. My grand-daughter knew she was having a boy so asked for a John Deere quilt. Blew me away, but she loves it, and it does have strong color. lol
    Judy
    Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 AM

There's a cute Safari pattern that has all of those colors. The primary colors work too.
    Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 PM

I once made a baby quilt with blue, green, yellow and red the grandmother requested these colors and the mother wanted one with purple so I made that also, both were so pretty that another woman wanted both made for her granddaughter so you see any thing goes
    Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts
    Oh this seems to becoming more common- young parents deciding not to find out if the baby is a boy or girl! (And I am old enough to have had two kids and zero sonograms!) I just made a quilt for my niece, gender neutral, using the Winnie the Pooh classic fabrics- mostly greens with some beiges, browns,aqua etc, but there were tiny touches of pink and blue- they loved it.I think as long as it is not strongly boy or girl themed it will be wonderful!
    I agree with this as long as you keep an even tone of the blues and red/pink there is no reason it wouldn't be considered gender neutral. I just don't use a lot of pink.
    Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Ahem~~~~ If YOU are making the quilt, and your idea sounds wonderful to me~~~ tell the room moms you thank them for their suggestions, but~~~~
    One of my favorite quotes is: "God so loved the world, He did NOT send a committee."
    You sound too nice for your own good. I think the teacher would love your idea, and the kids are participating. Primary colors are gender friendly..... for cryin' out lout!
    Bless you, dear one. Have fun.
    Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 PM

I would definitely have the mothers pick out and pay for the material. That way, if the committee cannot agree later on, you will not be left with unpaid costs.
    Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
    Primary colors? Btw, I've been a labor and delivery nurse for over 15 yrs, and it seems very few parents choose NOT to know the baby's sex before birth. We LOVE it when they don't know ahead of time. Honestly, how many pleasant surprises are left in life? There are plenty of UNpleasant ones: medical diagnoses, fender-benders, lay-offs. Humanity did fine, not knowing, for all of human history, now all of the sudden, it's a huge inconvenience not to know? One of my favorite birth memories was a woman with 5 girls, having her 6th baby, take her just born baby from the midwife's hands, kissing the baby and saying, " my love, my life, my precious one, my treasure", to her 6th girl. Just sayin'...
    Amen and amen! froggyintexas
    Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM

How about using all the pastel colors including blue, pink, yellow, lavendar, green, etc.