Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a fair price of fabric? >

What is a fair price of fabric?

What is a fair price of fabric?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM

i buy remnants of good quality cottons from local shops as they tend to be more expensive...for instance, batiks. but i also use hancock fabrics and joann fabrics and hobby lobby only when i get a coupon of 40-50% off..this is usually a pretty good deal too! then, i also order skinny bolts from eleanor burns/quilt in a day online store and i use the sales online from connecting threads-free shipping. experience in buying fabrics and notions helps but most helpful is to plan what you need in detail then shop around-stores and online before spending a dime.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM

I have found the patterns that I love and I am trying to price each store, though some don't carry all that I am looking for. But it seems for a layer cake, 2 charm packs, 3 yards of fabric, the price is about $85 either way I go. Is that bad? It is Moda all around.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
I think a reasonable price is that which you can afford. I won't pay over $5 per yard because I believe the whole cotton shortage excuse for high priced fabric to be a complete fabrication. It simply makes me mad to see cotton fabric in the over $7 a yard price ranges and I don't appreciate anyone taking advantage of me. It's easy to find fabric online in the 2.50-$5.00/yd. price range so that's where I do my shopping. I'm also far more interested in color and quality than I am in designer names and brand names so I have no problem finding fabrics that will work in my projects, online at great prices!
Sorry Rose but I have to disagree with you about cotton prices. From several different sources I get the same story, China and India are beginning to have a middle class who want cotton items and that drives the prices up and also weather conditions can cause a problem with how much cotton is grown in a year.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM

I buy from my lqs to support my community and because the lqs owner supports the economy of my community. Buying on line supports the economy and community of someplace I don't live and/or work. I feel $9-11 is fair for good quality fabric, which in my opinion, isn't found in Joann's, Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. Also, I find that those "Mart" stores are not a whole lot cheaper that my lqs.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM

My only quilt shop charges between 12-14.00 US for their fabrics...always the newest on the market. So the price you noted was pretty much the going rate in this area. Now, Walmart and Joann's have some at 5-9.00 a yard...but it's hit and miss, and usually not the newest on the market...sometimes, it's last years designs.

Your local quilt shops also provide a lot more service (mine does) than the big box stores.

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
Being a newbie and somewhat of a tight wad, lol, I tend to when I see some prices of fabric. I understand the higher the quality, the higher the price but what is a good price? I went to my LQS today, first time, and was just looking around since I had my DD with me. One fabric was $13.25/yd! It was nice fabric but still. I didn't catch the designer name...I was too shocked over the price to think to look. I have only shopped at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby currently and even their prices shock me sometimes.

So what is a bargain on nice quality fabric? Help me get over my shock. lol

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
Be sure to look up the quilting coupons. I just ordered from fabric com and used a $20 coupon. Surely makes the price of fabric come down.
Where do you find coupons?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 PM

You don't say where you're from so determining prices is hard to tell. Assuming that you live in the USA, that's a pretty normal price. Is it a good price? No, but it is what it is.

There are several ways to get fabric cheaper. If you live anywhere near Batesville, Arkansas or can plan a vacation in that area, go to Marshall's Dry Goods (they also sell online).
Scrounge thrift stores and garage sales---I've gotten some fabulous buys there. Large or XL Men's 100% cotton shirts can yield a pretty fair amount of fabric. Put the word out that you're quilting. It may take awhile but sooner or later someone will be cleaning house or cleaning out an estate and give you a call when they come across tons of fabric that they don't know what to do with. Watch auction ads, sometimes they have fabric.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks! I live in Middle Tennessee, close to Nashville.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM

You all make good points about supporting local businesses etc. It all depends upon what I need and how far I can stretch the social security check! That time of the month has a whole different meaning these days! I love Connecting Threads, Fabric.com and Beverly's (instant 30% off for online shopping!). I do love my lqs. I have the best in the country but sometimes they get just tooo$$$ for us old fixed income people. WalMart is good. I am cautious about JoAnne's due to quality issues. Fortunately, I am good neighbors with Fabric Depot too. OMG that place is heaven at least once a month!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fabric.com! I've ordered from them for years and only had one mistake (which they allowed me to keep as they sent me the corect material), one piece that wasn't what I thought it was and they told me to keep it, too, and only one fabric that wasn't up to "my standards" which they let me return AND paid the returned postage. They are awesome. Another hint . . . if you don't have a 15% discount, check on line for the current code. Sometimes, someone will post it and you can get an additional 15% off once you get your order to $35 to qualify for free shipping. I can't let myself go on their website too often as I spend too much:-((