Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Teacher vs Quilt Police >
  • Teacher vs Quilt Police

• Teacher vs Quilt Police

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryLane
    I think it has to be up to you to explain what you need and if the teacher can't provide it then it is time to move on. Different people have different styles of learning (and teaching).

I have a book that I bought because I saw one of the quilts in it made up. It had wonderful reviews on Amazon. I hated that book so much that I copied the pages I actually needed for that one quilt and burnt that $20 book so as not to inflict it upon someone else. Other people have told me how much they LOVE this quilter's books. I won't buy another and I won't buy a single piece of their fabric line because the book upset me so much.

My point is, I know that I can't use her stuff. So, I moved on.

I hope you find a teacher that you mesh with.
    I think I would have torn the pages out of the book and kept them (better? quality paper than copier paper?) and THEN burned the book.

Wow - you must have REEEAAALLLY disliked that book!

Last edited by bearisgray; 04-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM

I am self taught also - I find the videos and tutorials online help alot - then I learn by doing it and figuring it out - that is part of the process that I love - I have a friend who has been quilting for many years and sometimes she appoints herself as my "teacher" - some of the things she wants to teach - I am not interested in - I think if I went to a class - I want to learn what the technique is - there are many ways to construct a quilt - everyone has a different process - that is what gets me - there is only one way and you must follow this exactly - Not for me. Maybe I come up with my own shortcut - that doesn't mean it won't work - If you are paying her and you are not meshing well - I would not sweat it and find someone who works for you or learn by doing. Good luck and don't let anyone get you down - its supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
    Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Find a new, more supportive teacher.
    Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM

I REEEEAAAALLLY disliked the book. I didn't tear the pages out because the way she had things organized was part of the problem. She repeated the same information over and over in each quilt patter and it really got in the way of finding the info I needed. By copying it I could condense it down to 2 pages from 6 and get rid of the useless info.

I found the book insulting and denigrating. Besides, the patterns were not that great. It was a waste of paper and money.

If you want my personal opinion! LOL
    Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM

The best way to teach is to praise praise praise everything the student is doing right, gently correct what they aren't, praise their attempts at correcting the problems you so gently pointed out, and deep-six the criticism which works on no one and nothing. Also, make sure the student understands what you want from them. Demonstrate. Have them repeat the demonstration. Speak kindly. Care about your student and their progress. If this isn't what you're getting, it's time to "deep-six" your instructor. You don't need to pay for poor teaching. You can usually find that for free.
    Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM

I agree to a point with the teacher...you want help to hone your skills, and it's why the teacher is insisting you do the steps the, "proper way" ...but if something is looking good...she should express that too. Maybe the teacher can learn a better way now and again. I like constructive critism, if the teacher says "do it this way", without explaination, then she/he needs to say it as, "If you want a better result, try it the way I'm showing you, the result will look more professional that way." It's all in the way you express it.

Originally Posted by Cagey
    I've been working with an instructor to "hone my skills". I'm probably being too sensitive but seems like she is turning into the quilt police. Every little oops she is sure to point out and only criticizes and is not very encouraging.
    I'm not a newbie to quilting and appreciate constructive advise. What do you think?
    Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM

My BFF was always giving me the eye when she would see something she did not like or that was not up to her standards in my quilts, I finally got to the point where I started thinking WWKD (what would Karen do) when I saw something off. At first, resentment, but then it became my standard, If she would give me the eye, then it was ripper time. Try not to think of it as criticism.
    Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM

I'm sure she is trying to be helpful, but sewing is your own style of doing things. I was a home ec teachers nightmare, but my things were always well made and looked great. I just got to the finish in my own way.
    Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM

i believe that yes she should let you know when something is being done wrong , only to help you , but yes i do think that she should also let you know when you have done something good , this helps encourage you and everyone elso
    Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    We are hearing only one perspective here. It's quite likely the teacher would be very surprised by the description of events. Whether she's a sweetie-pie or a sweat-shop slave driver, she might be totally unaware of how you perceive and receive her delivery.

there are too many unanswered (and unanswerable) questions for any of us to give you any reliable feedback. for instance ...
    is she actually mean or are you actually insecure and overly sensitive?
    is she merely straightforward in order to not waste the time you are paying for?
    do you want to be spoonfed and coddled vs taught?
    or is she, in fact, an imperious dragon who chose the wrong profession?

we can't know.

have a calm, factual, heart-to-heart discussion with her.
    provide clear, accurate examples of the things that bother you.
    give her a fair chance to meet you on common, satisfying ground.
    Ditto on all of this...save me a lot of typing