Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt?? >

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM

ok i had to comment on this one lol. i agree its got 3 layers cotton/batting/cotton becaose flannel is cotton. the tie is the stitching. i had a quilt hanging on the side of my cubical at work last week i made it for a lady having a grandbaby and she was til thurs to take it home. i had lots of lovely comments on it all week even the children liked it
as it was bright neon green with monkey fabric. well i waited on one of the quilt police because she looked at it and said oh did you make that i replied yes quilting was my therapy and then laughed, she replied is it by hand i said no it was machine done. she snorted and said thats not really quilting. i was dumbfounded i wonder who she thought cut those squares and sewed them back together and quilted and binded that sucker. but to answer your question no shes not dead or in the hospital and i just smiled and said have a nice day. dang i cant wait to retire lol.
carla m
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM

OK, Carla M gets the prize for the funniest post!! Thank you for the laugh!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Well said. My sister wants to make a quilt pattern with cats that she has had for years. She has never made a quilt, but insisted it had to be hand pieced and quilted, otherwise it wasn't a "real" quilt. A while later I showed her an article about the history of quilting. When I got to the part sewing machines being used to piece quilts since the 1850's she was so relieved! "Okay then", she said. I guess I can machine piece mine, too! She isn't the quilt police, but she had a conviction based on folklore that quilts of "the day" were always hand sewn. She will be a happy quilter if she ever starts the darn thing!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You could have responded, "Somebody wore their cranky panties today!"

Jan in VA
love this...I always feel free to tell the QP to keep on moving...I don't have time for them..
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM

YEAH....What she said!!!

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Sounds like a quilt to me. I agree they don't know what they are talking about. Why can people just keep their piehole shut if they don't have anything nice to say
Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 AM

I wish I had the b____ to say to a lot of different people at different points in my life "someone has their Cranky Panties on today".......but I can either not think of something good enough to say or don't have the major guts to say what I think at that moment.....Goes back to "If you don't have something nice to say.....don't say anything"....wish more people would remember that....will never ever understand why some people have to be so cutting and ugly.....what does it accomplish.....yes, they express their opinion but at what cost, and could it have not been said in a kinder and more gentle way.....or NOT AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Carla, too funny.l am so glad I vented with my original post, laughing is always better than fuming. I too won't have the guts to say much back to anyone, just fuss and fume
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM

you can say just about anything if you start your sentence with"Bless your heart." As in," Bless your heart, it is so kind of you to take such an interest in my work. I'm sure that you really think that you know what you are talking about." That way you are are sort of giving her a back handed insult.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by spark View Post
you can say just about anything if you start your sentence with"Bless your heart." As in," Bless your heart, it is so kind of you to take such an interest in my work. I'm sure that you really think that you know what you are talking about." That way you are are sort of giving her a back handed insult.
This is so true! We southerners are constantly blessing someone's heart!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
oh-oh, the quilt police have your number!! The only proper response is "How kind of you to take an interest" accompanied by an icy stare if the comment is made in person. Not sure how you would do an icy stare over the internet!
I wish someone would figure out how to do the icy stare over the Internet-would be useful, luckily not often.
Maire