Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it.  Should I quit while I am ahead? >

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 AM

No! Don't quit. This is obviously something you love doing, and it is obviously very good for you, so keep it up! Yes, you have limited funds, but there are a lot of people in the same boat who quilt. There are great bargains in fabric to be found in thrift stores, and lot's of sales in fabric stores. Plus, you can put the word out that you will take fabric that others want to give away, and you will be surprised how often they do! Quilters are very generous people, and they will want to help you, and keep you quilting. Watch Craigslist and yard sales for bargains and give aways, and piece quilt tops in exchange for fabric. There is always a way, when you are doing something you love, and you don't have to have all the gadgets to be a quilter, you only need fabric and thread. There are plenty of free patterns online,so you don't even need to buy patterns. Keep it up and happy quilting!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM

You really don't need much to quilt. It sounds like you have really jumped in if you are already taking Leah Day classes. I don't think you can quit at this point, do you ? I buy 75% of my fabric at thrift stores. Once in Colorado while on vacation, I checked Craigslist and a lady was selling all her brand new brand for very cheap prices. If you want to quilt, you will find a way.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Oh, another place you might check for free fabric is Freecycle. Just google freecycle for your area and post a request for fabric. I bet you get some responses.
I was successful with this approach when I was unemployed and needing to build my stash. Also got a quilting hoop this way.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 AM

This site www.aaaquilterssupply.com has quality fabric and FQ's are always one dollar each. (That may have changed since I last visited the site) but Kim is delightful and ships immediately. I've never been disappointed in fabrics purchased there. NO, you definitely don't want to quit quilting. Others have said why and the nephew's suggested split was ridiculous. You do all the work and he gets lion's share of the money? He must have been kidding! Good luck and keep on keeping on! I also like to buy men's cotton shirts at rummage sales/thrift stores. They've been prewashed and provide lots of material PLUS buttons. Every quilter saves buttons, right? For other crafty things, etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 AM

You have got to be kidding at your nephew's "offer" for a 95-5% split in his favor. Let him make a quilt all by his lonesome and see how fair the split seems to be to him. Now, put out the word to your friends, go to thrift shops, talk to your religious group if you are involved in such to let them know that you need fabric. Also, go back and read up on other BM's ways of getting fabric. You can do it! Don't stop now, please. You will have a life-long hobby if you pursue it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Why stop if it gives you pleasure? I,too, am disabled and I know how hard it can be when you are on disability.When I am in any store that sells fabric, I check out the clearance isle. I have bought a lot of fabric for $2.00 a yard. Wal-Mart,local quilt shop,etc. You don't have to pay high prices for fabric to get good fabric. The important thing is to just be observant when you are shopping. I will admit, I NEVER pay retail price for fabric, be for quilting or for garment making. Check out Fabric.com for good prices on fabric. As far as notions and tools for quilting, you seem to have all the basics. One thing I would recommend is a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler. I love mine and you can get for 50-60% off at Joanne's. Sign up for their newsletter and you will usually find coupons for a percentage off the price. I usually wait until the coupon is for at least 50% off. Also, check out your local hardware store for tools to help with your quilting. I have found that if there is the same item at the quilt store and at the local hardware store, usually the hardware store will be much,much cheaper. For instance, a suction cup holder to put on a quilting ruler was $15.00 at the quilt shop and $2.00 at the hardware store. Same item, the only difference was the color of the holder. You will be amazed at what you can find at a hardware store. Also, check out online shops for notions, etc. Wait for sales. It just takes time to wait for a great deal. Please don't feel that you have to quit a hobby that you love,just be more creative in finding good deals. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM

AndysC - My son lived in Somerville, MA, while attending Harvard. I visited him while he was there and found the most awesome store in Somerville, Sewphisticate at Twin City Plaza. I found a wall of quilting fabrics from some of the best manufacturers at 2.99 and 3.99 per yard. The patterns might be older, but if you watch the brands, you can pick up some awesome deals. Each time I went I got tons of great fabric, which is very important for our group because we donate our quilts to Quilt of Valor and other projects. So getting really good fabric at bargain prices is as good as it gets. Store is usually busy and sometimes the staff can be kind of testy--but most of them are really hard working and the deals are well worth the trip. Will miss my trips to Boston, since my son has now graduated and taken an assignment in London England (of all places). Not a cheap place for fabrics I hear! LOL Good luck and keep quilting.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM

i have bought some absolutely gorgeous fabric in Boston for small prices. Check the Filene's basement for sheets etc. deeply discounted, sometimes you can get 100 % cotton there. Also there are some great fabric stores near downtown, independents, not chains, that carry designer bolt ends etc. one of them also has cotton and cotton blends that would work for quilting. explore and have fun. Years ago there was a cute little hole in the wall that was several floors of fabrics. i think it is gone but last time i was there (2001), i found a substitute. Sorry, i can't be more specific about location. I just know i got off subway near Filenes and walked toward the harbor.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Hi Andy: Did the "sC" mean something special? Or is it OK to address you as "Andy"? It seems to me you have gone into this subject with some considerable thought. NO, DON'T QUIT!!!! And never hesitate to use any one of us to your own advantage. If we offer, we are sincere, to a person..... I have been on this board for a little over a year now, and have learned a lot, about people, about quilting, about sewing, about really looking at what I have to be thankful for instead of what I don't have......I love it. You seem computer savvy enough to work your way through anything offered here. I still have not mastered answering the PM thing, but I am working on it. LOL, this for those of you who have tried to help me through this process. Everyone here says "you go girl" when they love what someone posts (especially a picture), so I guess we are going to learn to say "you go man"......Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM

I too am disabled (multiple sclerosis) I took up quilting when I was already in a wheelchair. I only have use of one arm/hand. When I first started to quilt I used material from clothing that no longer was fitting or stylish but the material was good. I disassembled the pieces and then ironed them. Scrappy qulits were the way to go. And fabric is often sold here at a pretty good price. You don't actually NEED all that other stuff. You have what's important. Desire. One caution, beware of old fabric. It doesn't hold up or wear very well. My tip? Stick with ecru or natural thread. You can get a good deal on ebay. I got some thread about 4 years ago and I got 4 cones and just started #2. And i average a quilt a month and other smaller projects as well.