Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it.  Should I quit while I am ahead? >

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM

Quit being a quilter is a no no at any time. With quilting we get more than a fancy quilt to cuddle in we get friends therapy . We all understand the cost of quilting and on this board are several cheap methods and notion ideas. Thing outside quilting notions. Gloves, massage gloves from cheap store. Wooden iron a wooden peg.
I go to classes and I admit it gets expensive but I also go for the chit chat. Cheaper than private session and better for you and enjoyable. Fabric comes from every where, sheets clothes etc. I was desperate in a wall hanging and used a blanket . ( not recommended but it was all I had and was snowed in)
Your nephew, if he sells your quilts, the first portion of money to take out is the cost of fabric and thread, batting used. This covers your cost. Now divide the rest up. That is your choice he will want to take postage out as well. ( forgot that) share the rest.
Keep quilting keep smiling.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 AM

Hi....I read this with interest....and would say that you NEED to keep quilting....you would have a real hole in your life if you gave it up.
As for equipment I think most people on this board would agree that we get hooked into buying a whole load of stuff that we don't need.
In Bath, a city near me, ( I am based in the UK) there is an American museum that has the most beautiful quilts made by American women in the 1800s....they are stunning......I wonder did they have an assortment of Acrylic rulers in all shapes and sizes, did they have fancy cutting machines....and sewing machines with huge throats and more stitches than they could ever need...and an endless supply of the latest must have fabrics ?.......I know the answer to these questions are a firm No they would have used any scraps they could have got their hands on....and I still gaze at these quilts in complete awe as they are far more beautiful than anything I could ever make.
Have you looked at the for sale section of this board....sometimes people sell fabric incredibly cheaply.
patterns are easily available via the internet ...and if you are looking for something specific just ask the board...I can almost gaurantee someone will come to your aid.
As for free motion....I now love free motion quilting but still can do little more than basis stippling and swirls and a few feathers....just try doing a little piece to practice on regularily.....if you try learning on a big quilt you will probably become very disallusioned.....but you do have Leah Day...and she is so good !
I really do wish you all the very best ......
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 AM

I just stated quilting this year. You don't need all the stuff . It is all extra gadgets to help .
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 AM

I purchase men's plaid shirts and soft kahki men's pants and blue jeans from Salvation Army Thrift Store. They have buy 1 get 2 free on certain color tags. Have made some very nice quilts with them, including denim rag quilts. Always live life enjoying what you do. Best wishes.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 AM

Try the Fabric Place Basement in Natick, they have a $2. a yard area, all quality fabrics. But dont quit what you love. They will also have a groupon on occasion, which saves you something close to 1/2 off. They also have a coupon on their website. They do not do internet sales, just a great local place. As for gadgets, I have a cutting mat, rotary cutter, scissors, thread, needles and Kenmore sewing machine, and I do use the gloves when FMQ, but I got those under $5 at Joann's. If your nephew buys all your materials you might want him to take you up on the offer, since the process is what you love. It will be his problem to sell them and and make a profit lol, but I would try for 80/20 lol.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 AM

Don't quit! Check out Bonnie Hunter's blog. She's been doing great quilts with old men's shirts she gets at the thrift store. She's says she's only buying fabric if she can't find just what she wants in her stash.
Remember our grandmothers did not go out & buy expensive gadgets. Especially during the war years when it was, "make do, or do without".
Good luck & hang in there. (love Boston. Great city but very expensive )
Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Another place I find fabric inexpensively is in the remnant bins in Hancock's, JoAnn's or Hobby lobby. I have quite the collection and they make great scrappy quilts.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Quilting is my hobby and it cost money. If you pay attention to the online clearance sales you can have a nice stash in no time. Right now Connecting Threads has fabric that is $2.98 a yard. Sign up for online quilt shop newsletters so you won't miss out on a great sale. Quilt in a Day, Missouri Star Quilting, Connecting Threads, and Nancy Notions or the shops I know I can trust to gave great customer service when shopping online.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 AM

I was just reading the QB pages and fell in love with all of the generousity of fellow quilters -makes me so proud of you - I am not a beginner but am one who just cannot show her quilts --not a perfectionist in any way- just a hobby for me and a daughter who accepts all that I have made!!! I am so glad that this page is here- spend as much time reading as sewing!!! love to all!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 AM

I hope you were just kidding about the 95/5% split. NO WAY should you agree to that !!! And I agree - forget more gadgets at this point. You seem to have the basics, and without fabric, the gadgets won't do you any good. Also, you might want to check with local quilt stores to see if you could make samples for a good deal on fabric. Good luck!