Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting. Anybody do it? >

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Up until 2004 we traveled with my husband's job in a 36 ft fifth wheel with three slides. I had so much quilting stuff in that thing it was incredible. My entire stash was under the lift up queen size bed. He often worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week so I had lots of quilting time.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM

We pull a 28' trailer with two slides with an expedition. The sewing machine goes into the back of the SUV. I have a fold up table I bought at Target that has adjustable legs (I am short). My mats go under the mattress and I have handled snap-lock bins that hold all of my supplies. We have outside electrical outlets on the RV so I plug my machine and iron into a surge protector. We bought a foldable leather dining chair at Bed Bath and Beyond (on sale) and the table holds my June Tailor ironing mat and a travel iron. Second day after we set up is always used to check out local quilt shops and fabric stores - (gotta love a husband who has the right priorities).
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Location: I live in Wooster, Ohio but am in Florida for 3 months

We just bought a 38 footer. I have a full size Pfaff that I have sitting on the table between the 2 front seats. We are in Florida right now. My DH sits outside and reads his Kindle. I piece! I'm working on my third quilt top!! I also put an add on the bulletin board in the office for mending! I've made 30$!! Everything fits under the seat at the table when not in use. My sewing machine keeps me sane!! SewGranny
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM

We full time in a 35 ft 5th wheel, I carry an 1966 Husqvarna & a 2012 Kenmore. I finished 7 quilts last year in the RV, from start to finish, plus 6 tablerunners. Since space is limited, I clean up after each sewing session. I love my little sewing area, I am able to press, cut and baste my quilting items on my queen bed, my sewing "area" is at the vanity at the end of our bed. My plastic templates as hanging on the wall in the vanity area. As for quilting magazines........mine are digital. My supplies/storage are somewhat the same as kayluvs2quilt and marijeaux.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Quiltnnan, so nice to indulge yourself while on the road!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Is it difficult to hook up to water etc....I could care less about anything with gas but a small electric skillet would be great...would love to do this by myself with my small dog....thanks for sharing.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Does he have any single brothers
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM

We bought a 28 ft camper with a small slide with the idea of traveling. But we haven't yet. Our truck only gets about 7 or 8 miles per gal pulling it and with gas about 3.65/gal we won't be able to go far. But we do plan to visit some nearby lakes this summer, so I've really enjoyed hearing how so many of you are taking your sewing with you. I also like to crochet and read, so I know I would have a good time. Thanks for all your fun travel advice.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 PM

Here's what I'm thinking about doing-you experienced rv'ers tell me if it'll work.
I want 2 bookcase/cubbies, about table height, with baskets for storage and a strap to hold them while moving. One cubby on each side of the dining room table, attached to the outer wall. A lightweight, narrow counter top over the top of the cubbies, the dining room table will be able to scoot under the countertop between the cubbies. The countertop will be my sewing/computer/printer surface. I'll still have the whole dining room table to work on if needed.
I'm thinking some small lap trays for eating in case I'm in the middle of something big during a meal!
Am I just over-thinking this? I'd like my sewing area to be fairly permanent and we have the room for it.
I might use only one cubby unit and one 2 drawer file cabinet-just need to find them or make them the same height!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 AM

I have a small 2berth caravan in which I can't wait to go quilting in. The machine fits either under the seats or stays in the car. In the caravan is a long dining table which is fantastic for piecing and cutting. In the van I have as all folded table which fits in the bathroom or flat on the floor. I love it I had a sign quilter on board in the window. Unfortunately lost it during a ar sale. I was looking at rv to buy but decided I enjoy van more and 4 wheel drive vehicle. Can tore in both placs.