Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting. Anybody do it? >

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM

I love this! My husband and I lived in a small pickup/camper for 6months..I had a futura singer, and stashed materal under beds etc. I have always dreamed of a set up like this!!We have kids in Fl,Ca. and Alaska! What fun!!

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
We have a little 21 ft RV and last year was the first time I quilted in it. There's just enough room behind the coffee pot to store my Featherweight... and I did my piecing on the kitchen table. I know I've read lots of tips of storage etc. on the forum but can't quickly find it. There's one little article off site. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ts_hobbies.php

But I also love to set my machine up and stitch outside. I make baggies of blocks before traveling. [ATTACH=CONFIG]399453[/ATTACH]
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM

oh my goodness. We have a 28 ft RV (pull trailer) and now have hope to sew inside it. Thanks so much.

Hug to all

Vickey S.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM

We have been full-timers in a 35' Class A motorhome for 16 yrs. I take my Viking Topaz 20/ embroidery & a small stash with us at all times. Some days DH wants to fish....perfect time to quilt. I am currently working on a large Queen quilt for our coach. Sunny days are great days to sew outside just as thimblebug 6000 does. ! It also allows others to come visit. You never know who you'll meet or what you'll learn but it's always great fun !
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM

I found a small table that folds flat - yet is very sturdy, it will store under or behind the sofa in my camper. I have a Featherweight and I also have another small Singer that fit fine in my closet, my cutting mat fits under the sofa or under the mattress on our bed. I also find that old hard sided suitcases work fabulous for fabric, tools, etc. Round (or any shape) cookie tins work great for thread, needles, etc. You can store a lot in zip lock bags also.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Rose; Welcome to the RV Quiltin' Club!! We have a 35' triple slide 5th wheel and I take my sewing machine with me all the time as we are Volunteer Park hosts and are gone for 1 -2 months at a time. I can't live that long without my machine! I use my dining table for my sewing area. I usually try to pre cut my projects before I leave but I do have a cutting mat, ruler, pressing surface and my plexiglass Sew steady table all stored under our mattress that lifts up. I can use the table for cutting also. I utilize the TV cabinet area in the bedroom for my mini sewing room closet. All my projects and notions including my iron are stored up there. My sewing machine for now is my Designer 1 a large full sized sewing machine, I keep it behind my recliner when not in use. I also have a task lamp that I store in my mini sewing closet. It's amazing how many little nooks and crannies you can find to put sewing paraphernalia in an RV! I am hoping to one day get a Babylock Audrey to replace my D1 as it's as small as a FW but with more stitch options.
Enjoy your life on the road,.. you don't have to give up quilting or sewing it fits in just perfectly!!
As my Designer 1 is a computerized embroidery machine I also bring my Battery Back Up Surge Protector. Campgrounds are notorious for having fluctuating power surges so I NEVER leave home without it! Yes,I also do machine embroidery on the road too!!

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 03-05-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Yup I quilt in our Rv all the time. Store every thing in overhead cabinets and kit up as much as I can ahead of time. If they won't let you use the sewing machine because of the electricty get a hand crank machine. I got one and I love it. It's very quiet although a bit heavy. I'm looking forward to using it at the picnic table this summer. I also take a hand piecing project. I worked on that all the way to Yellowstone and back. With all the Rv quilters out there it would sure be fun to meet up someplace and sew our brains out.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Those bags that you take the air out of are great for storing fabric.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Wow...that sounds like heaven to me, my FW, my husband, and my dogs, all on vacation near the ocean.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM

We are full-time RV'ers. We have no pull outs or couch, but do have a bird & wooden tv trays. I sew in my recliner with my machine on a tv tray in front of me. Recently, my DH got me a 6' folding table to work on outside on our patio. Either way, inside or out I enjoy my quilting! :-) We've been doing this since 1999. I have a small plastic shed outside for craft supplies because we're stationery now, but it gets interesting! ;-) Good luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM

My advice to you: don't wait for RETIREMENT! We had a "5th wheel" for some 12 years and enjoyed camping on holidays, vacations and special days with the hope of really traveling after retirement. THEN, my husband had a serious stroke and everything changed. No more camping and we finally sold the camper last spring. I cried and cried. So do what you are going to do NOW.