Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting. Anybody do it? >

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Ok, I need to know more about a lightweight sewing machine to take "on the road". I have a Brother XL-3500i which isn't that heavy but cumbersome.
If I were to get a Featherweight, where would I look? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a second machine. What about the smaller machines meant for kids?
We have a 24 ft Aerolite by Dutchman travel trailer. Up until now I have hand sewn my projects.
Thanks!
Pat
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Pat;
It depends upon what your dollar figure is for not much money. A Featherweight is going to be pricey, found mostly on Ebay for $300+ easily. I've been searching for over a year and finally decided that is just too much for a machine that only does a straight stitch. There are die hard FW fans on here, and I love them too, very much! However,I have decided to go newer, like brand new most likely. I am researching the Janome Jem which tons of people have on here.. and the Babylock Audrey. The Jem would be fine except I do alot of applique work and there is no blanket stitch on a Jem.. so I am looking at the BL Audrey more money but I am getting the stitches I need.
Also, Amazon carries the Brother lightweight machines as well as the Jem. Babylock is only sold at Dealerships. Singer also has a fairly lightweight machine as does Husqvarna Viking but it is 15 lbs. I have been typing in the different sewing machine companies and perusing their small lightweight machines and seeing what stitches they have. Just my 2 cents worth! Hope this helps

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
Ok, I need to know more about a lightweight sewing machine to take "on the road". I have a Brother XL-3500i which isn't that heavy but cumbersome.
If I were to get a Featherweight, where would I look? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a second machine. What about the smaller machines meant for kids?
We have a 24 ft Aerolite by Dutchman travel trailer. Up until now I have hand sewn my projects.
Thanks!
Pat
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM

One more thing I forgot in my earlier post. Large, unused pizza boxes work terrific for projects. Usually your book or pattern will fit in the box as well as the blocks or pieces you have cut for blocks ...and they are easy to store.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by stillvnu View Post
I was so excited to read this post ...so many great ideas. I have a 25 ft travel trailer (one small slide out) that we use in the summer. I always take a project! I store my cutting mat and rulers flat under the mattress to keep them flat ... my machine stores under the dinette ... I have a small cutting mat/ironing pad (June Tailor I think) I use that on the cover of the stove to press blocks and a table top ironing board for bigger things ... I have a flat wall between the bathroom and bedroom that I use as a design wall ... I put up small command hooks on the wall and then put binder clips on a flannel backed table cloth for my design wall and it works perfectly. Keep the ideas coming!
Now there's a great idea that I can use in our condo. I've been fretting about how to have a design wall with concrete walls. I bet I could even find some cute binder clips to use. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM

We have a 5th wheel and have taken the table out. In it's place I have a small chest deep freeze. (We full-time during the summer) I put my cutting mat on top. I have a small folding table between the deep freeze and the sofa that I put my machine on. I put my small ironing board either on the kitchen counter or on top of the cutting mat on the deep freeze.We have 2 TV trays we use for meals or eat outside on the picnic table. I found the boxes that office copy paper come in fit perfectly under the bed...I keep my fabric stash in them. It all works great for me!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM

I made it work in an RV for about 4 years. Then decided that we had a house that we are paying for and I was going to stay there so I could quilt and be comfortable. If you go outdoors with it the wind has a habit of stealing pieces. I like it much better at home, but if you can make it work for you, just love it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 AM

I camp all summer in our travel trailer. usually take hand sewing, but this year we have a new trailer with 3 slides (so much room) so I plan to take sewing machine and all the trimmings. For all who camp in Michigan try Old Orchard Park in Oscoda and look me up. Lot 427 near the 2nd bathroom. Would love to meet some quilters as I'm the only one that I know of.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by lemmons View Post
We have been traveling in our 40ft RV for 10 yrs with 2 sewing/embroidery machnes & serger. My husband took out our couch added 2 recliners, and built a sewing/computer area. Under that area I store machines and a 3 drawer rolling cabinet for fabric & miscellanous. He also build another cabinet next to the wall for more statch It's been a great life traveling and quilting. If you see us, do stop in, we're in So. Ca for the winter.
Wow! Your set up sounds spectacular! Any chance we could see a picture or two?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM

My parents have a toy hauler so it has a 10 foot garage in the back of it. when they are at a campground and the motorcycle isn't in there it is mom's "sewing room" she even bought a design wall to take with her.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM

My mother had an RV for 10 years. When we'd visit her I'd just bring my quilt in progress and quilting hoop and hand quilt on my lap. It worked well with full size quilts and small. I wouldn't try it with anything bigger if there are kids about.