Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Raises Hand HIGH!

I feel I have a wonderful virtual guild between the blogs I read, the interaction/support of my blog readers and online forums like QB. I have a hard time concentrating so I'm not a social quilter. I don't enjoy the politics that invariably arise in a group either. My quilting room is my Happy Haven and I love my own company!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM

I spend most of my time alone and don't mind it. My DH works (getting ready to retire soon) and I'm a retired paralegal. I love being able to go up to my sewing room and work when I want and for as long as I want, without feeling like I have to be sociable when I'm sewing. I do my best work when I'm left to my own devices and nothing (or no one) is demanding that I share my attention. I do meet with a small group of wonderful women twice a month for quilting and a bit of social time. We share ideas, swap stories, etc., but mostly we get together to work on our quilts. I love reading the entries on QB and find it to be a great outlet. There are so many talented and knowledgeable people here making this journey so much more fun.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Thats me! Maybe were all more alike than we think!!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM

I'm not a big joiner, and generally anything requiring a group effort to complete will send me running for the exit. (Except for my own field, construction, where everything is cooperation and coordination and collaboration, which I enjoy.)
But I do like the relaxed atmosphere of the open classes at my LQS, where we all work away, share what we are doing, and get help if needed from the instructor. We chat or work. I talk to myself a lot. People are who they are and we all make an effort to be nice to everyone else.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

I use to be quite the extrovert, but being with my husband who is an
introvert for the past 13 years (10 in marriage) I think that I have turned
into a semi-introvert.

I know that sounds crazy and may not even make sense to some people
but that is how I look at it. I can stay at home and IF I am in the mood I
can happily sew, machine embroider or whatever in peace and quiet, but
I DO sometimes wish for or want someone to chat with while I am working
on a project.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM

I agree with you, I have tried the quilting guild, kind of disappointed with it though. Have found the 'in' quilters kind of rule the roost. I know everyone who goes is not wealthy, wealthy, but it seems most of them are trying to keep up. The classes have been good, but find I do better when I get home and am alone. Not so sure I will renew my membership, it is not nearly the fun it was for me when I started. And I think that is too bad. You are doing what is right for you as we all have to do. The bottom line is to enjoy this passion.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I am a loner but enjoy QB tremendously. I have friends that come over occasionally but I usually end up helping them. I think it would be good to go to a guild etc. but it never seems to happen.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

My studio is my retreat and It is where I do my best thinking, creating and enjoying. I am also an introvert and love being at home.

I could never understand why the women I work with get bored if they stay home even for one day. I love my home and work very hard to have it so I want to enjoy it by being there.
peace
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM

I know exactly what you are saying. You can log in and talk here, I do. lol
Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
I use to be quite the extrovert, but being with my husband who is an
introvert for the past 13 years (10 in marriage) I think that I have turned
into a semi-introvert.

I know that sounds crazy and may not even make sense to some people
but that is how I look at it. I can stay at home and IF I am in the mood I
can happily sew, machine embroider or whatever in peace and quiet, but
I DO sometimes wish for or want someone to chat with while I am working
on a project.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM

I do belong to a guild - fun, friendly group. I'm getting a a little more involved - but only as much as I want to. I've learned a lot from them. I go to "work day" on some Tuesdays. I watch others work on their projects and ask them questions. But I work better by myself - I know where everything is and I can concentrate on what I'm doing. I really like QB - I've learned a lot here too. I really like staying home now that I'm retired. This week I have to go to town 3 times and that doesn't make me happy!