Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rowenta vs Oliso >
  • Rowenta vs Oliso

• Rowenta vs Oliso

Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 PM

I went through several expensive irons bought at Costco: excellent customer service as they replaced one of the irons twice with no questions and the second iron once and then refunded my money when it also failed.

*LOL* I bought a Rival at WallyWorld for less than $10 and it's still working just fine after eight or so years.

Moral: sometimes you don't get what you pay for!
    Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Love my Rowenta Pro Master! Heavy but tons of steam and heats up fast. No leaking.
    Old 06-06-2015, 01:31 PM

I haven't used the Oliso but will not buy another Rowenta. The price is high and with regular use they breakdown fast. I have a very reliable Black and Decker that works every bit as well as the Rowenta did. Think i'll stick with the tried and true
    Old 06-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff
    On another board someone posted about the Panasonic/titanium sole plate. They said any gunk that gets on it cleans right off. I've thought about getting one since anything I get seems to collect gunk pretty much overnight.
    I've had 2 Rowenta and neither one worked well - lots of sputtering and spitting or no steam at all!
    Currently I have a cheapy with a teflon sole plate. Gunk does not come but it doesn't leak!
    I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean any gunk that accumulates on the bottom of my iron. It works like a charm, just dampen with water and wipe down the sole plate. Mine is shiny metal, don't know what, exactly, but the Mr. Clean Eraser cleans it perfectly, no scratches or marks at all. I do this when the iron is cold, of course. My shark seems to accumulate a lot of stuff on the bottom.
    Old 06-06-2015, 03:35 PM

I will never buy another Rowenta. I bought one for myself and one for my Mother and within 3 years both had died. Mine started leaking within a year, even though I only used bottled spring water as directed. Then at about the 3 year mark it went crazy steaming one day then POP! and it was dead.

That said, I am still using a Rowenta. I got it at a silent auction (to raise money for a charity drive) at work. It had a brown gunky bottom and I was the only bidder at $1.00. Cleaned off the sole plate and planned to use it for applique stuff. Well the other one died and I got this one out to use. That was at least 5 years ago and still going strong, no problems.

When it dies I will only buy cheap irons in the future. It seems the expensive irons don't last.
    Old 06-06-2015, 04:15 PM

I won't have another Rowenta ever!
    Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 PM

I found a Singer Extreme Heat II on the clearance shelf of Tues Morning. Like that it shows the actual temperature setting and is little heavier than my old Sunbeam (which I now just use with fusibles--tired of having to worry about cleaning the sole plate everytime!). I'm still having little trouble figuring out the steam option--but maybe I should be reading the directions some, huh?
    Old 06-06-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I will never buy another Rowenta after the shoddy, rude service experience I had with the last one. I don't know anything about Oliso. My current iron is a Reliable Digital Velocity V100 - terrible name, but it produces the best steam of any iron I've ever owned, and it's made so that it can't leak. You can also put it in a mode so that it doesn't automatically shut itself off. I really like it.
    I have had two Rowenta's and will never have another. Both made in Germany but still bad about heating and leaking. I also have the Reliable V1000 and love it. I have used Oliso at quilt shop and like it.
    Old 06-06-2015, 07:05 PM

I have heard others complain about having problems with the Rowenta. And they complained about the horrible customer service also. I'm glad you mentioned the iron you have and the fact that it has a NO auto shut off feature. I do a good bit of piecing and I'm kinda slow so I HATE the auto shut off. I feel like I'm constantly turning the dang iron upside down so it wont shut off. LOL. I'm going to Amazon to see if they have the iron you do. LOL
    Old 06-06-2015, 07:16 PM

I have been very pleased with my Chi Home (ordered from the major on-line everything store). It was under $40. If I had known it did not have auto shut-off, I would have ordered the higher priced model for a bit more but I LOVE the ceramic soleplate! Besides, I have it plugged into a power strip and just shut everything off when I walk out the door so works great for me. Steam does not seem to drip out and so far no leaks. I have had it over a year now.