Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~ >

Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~

Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~

Old 03-04-2017, 09:12 AM

If you have a class near by that you see that you like it might help. I find if I sign up for a class it gets me going... and I meet so many great people with more energy and it helps!
Old 03-04-2017, 09:46 AM

This is a very interesting thread. I am getting lots of good ideas. I heard a longarm instructor (sorry I can't remember for sure but it might have been Kimmy Brunner) say she would put a bowl of candy at the end of the machine and when she completed a row of the quilting she would get a piece of candy.

I play little games with myself. I like to listen to books on tape and I won't listen unless I am doing housework or sewing. This works if I am doing more production type sewing like make 40 flying geese not if I am trying to read or design something. Also I am addicted to diet coke so I will leave my bottle of diet coke or ice water next to the sewing machine when I go off to browse the computer then when I want a drink I have to go back to the sewing room.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:19 AM

I have a friend that recognized that for herself the pleasure of "quilting" was in everything that led up to it. She'd buy fabric, patterns, supplies etc...and she was "done" with her quilt. So, she never really every started a quilt. Eventually, she moved on to knitting. She always completes the knitting projects.

So, maybe you need to ask yourself if you really want to do everything that needs to be done to finish a quilt. Maybe you too don't really want to finish a quilt. Just getting everything together is enough for you.

Or, try and take up another hobby like knitting or crocheting and see whether or not you are motivated to finish in a different median. Or, try and find a quilting or sewing buddy who'd come over to your house to help you get started.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:31 PM

My husband says that a hobby is..." a big hole you dig in the backyard and throw money in it.". By that definition, I have quite a solid quilting hobby!
Old 03-04-2017, 02:59 PM

I was in your situation. My advice is to retire as early as you can afford. Then, you will likely not be as stressed and exhausted. In the mean time, try planning projects that you can do with your stash. Perhaps you will find time to sort out fabrics for a few projects as a running start . Perhaps, you could carve out a holiday or take a vacation day of "quilting sanity".
Old 03-04-2017, 03:22 PM

For some reason, I too have been unable to drag myself into my beautiful and well stocked sewing room lately. I haven't even purchased any fabric although I have two wonderful quilt stores in town. I promised myself I would go into the sewing room this weekend, and it is already Saturday at 3:30 and I am doing other things. I think my get up and go got up and left and left me here in the computer room. Sigh
Old 03-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

is there anoption to sew with friends, maybe a day after work. i find if i'm sewing at someones house, i have a plan for the time to get something done. You need to get your mojo back. working 80 hrs. a week, i sewed and got a quilt done on lunch and coffee breaks. sitting home on disability, i get nothing done. but now that i have set places to go and people to see, i get things done. Maybe you are just in a slump. see if you can join a group of people, or just one will help along with this.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:42 PM

I work full-time also but quilting is one of my outlets...for 2017 I made a list of goals which included a half dozen UFOs at various stages and also included several quilts that I'd like to make but I promised myself no more fabric or new projects until I get the UFOs done... so far it's working and I am half way there.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:15 PM

Go to bed! I have found that when I come home sometimes I just feel like going to bed. So I do. In about an hour I begin thinking about what there is to finish in my sewing room and I'm up and at 'em. A refreshing nap is therapeutic. I have even lain down at 7 or 8:00 in the evening, was up an hour later and sewed until midnight.

Another thing that gets me going is deadlines. Belonging to a quilt group of some kind is a good place to find deadlines. They usually have challenges and fun things they want finished at a certain time. I need that.

A quilt for a certain reason is another deadline. Weddings, babies, graduations, birthdays. You need to get it done on time, and that gets me going, too.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:38 PM

That's where I'm at also. I have no excuse really, I am retired, I have lots of time to do whatever I want. I've been in kind of a slump since both my parents died about 4 years ago. I helped to care for them, and that took most of my time, but clearly I now have time. I recently had elbow surgery, so I have an excuse, but I would really like to get back in the game. My quilt room is fairly clean and organized, and hasn't had much use since December. I can only say that this too shall pass, and I will get my groove back.