Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~ >

Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~

Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~

Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM
pal

Try going through the bags of goodies that you bought and put the pieces together that work with each other. If you put them in a large ziplock bag, with or without a pattern, you may become inspired.

Sometime completing one small project successfully starts the creative ball rolling.

We've all been in the same boat.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

I have a TV and stereo in my sewing room. Sometimes I just putter while I watch TV and PRESTO I find myself moving forward on a project. Music helps my mood and is good motivation. I used to shop a lot, but these days I prefer the creative sanctuary of my sewing room. If a project gets on my nerves, I put it away and choose an interesting small project that finishes quickly before returning to my other project. Most wonderful things have a resistance point that must be overcome. I wish you well with your quilting future!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:01 PM

WMUTeach mentioned my "bounty". That really is true. I am really so grateful for what I have. I ran into the local quilt shop and saw 3 quilting sisters from the guild. I pulled out my gift certificate and we all bought fabric! That was fun. I bought an applique kit that inspired me. You are all so right about sharing the quilting goodness!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I have compulsively shopped for fabric, of every variety. Purchased tons of magazines, books and patterns, not to mention notions! It has been stacked in every available spot. I can't get to the sewing machines....I have 4. I don't make quilts, I buy stuff. I've slowed down yet I still have $300.00 on gift cards that I need to use because the quilt shops seem to be going out of business too frequently.
What do you do to get you moving? I bet a neater quilt room will be a plus. Where to I start?
~Crispy~
I have done the same thing, buying fabric, patterns and books. I have moved over 500 miles from my home to SW Iowa. Everything is a jumble and my sewing machine is not set up either. I've bought 2 other machines (one is a FW) and I don't have a place for them either. Two need sewing tables or cabinets.

Needless to say but I will be following your thread.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:13 AM

First, stop buying "stuff." Second, look over what you have. Third, do what Tartan says and take anything you no longer love to your guild. Fourth, organize it by project and place in large zip locks or store together some other way. Last, don't buy anything more until you've completed at least one project.
I bought and bought, too, before I retired. Now I get tired just looking at all the unfinished projects. So my guild will continue to get the "unwanted and unfinished" so I can concentrate on the projects I still like and want to do.
Good luck! I hope this helps...plus, it is really, really difficult to find sewing time when you work, especially if you have a demanding job.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:33 AM

I'm in the same boat but my life is in a bit of an uproar right now. We moved after selling our house and are living in a temporarily leased apartment while searching for our retirement home. Everything is packed except for one of my FWs. I want to be quilting, but there's just no space for me to do so.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:18 AM

Lots of great advice here. Adding my thoughts. I find my space gets really messed up and I stumble and trip and rearrange the mess. I currently cannot find one silly piece of kinky to make a baby blanket. (Don't worry. Shower was LAST Saturday!!). That's how it sometimes goes. And it causes me great stress. I have to get in and put things away proper and straighten up. Then it can be my happy place again. I vote for cleaning and purging....
Old 03-04-2017, 07:19 AM

Afraid you have to much going. You need to pick one project then after dinner go to your sewing room and sew for
a couple of hours. Once you get going hopefully you will find you want to finish. You may find that this will be soothing
and clear all the clutter of the day from your mind. I wish you luck. If you have clutter in your sewing room don't worry about that if you start cleaning you will never start a project. Clean after you get your project done.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I have times I feel the same way. I have found that sometimes if I tell myself I can either sew or do something else I am dreading, it gets me into the sewing room. Then I get interested and keep sewing.

I agree that an uncluttered space helps a lot. Go through your fabric, and see what you don't like anymore. Get rid of it. Look through the WIPs and be honest about whether you will finish each one. If not, get rid of it. Sometimes we are paralyzed by our 'stuff'. It overwhelms and makes it hard to do anything. You'll feel better to reduce it, even by a little bit. I always feel ready to sew after I've purged a bit.

Then pick a fun quick project and make it. A baby quilt for a niece or nephew or Project Linus. Nothing complicated; just fun. Good luck - you can do this!
This is great advice! Sorting through all your stash is a great way to purge.....and when I have done this, I do get a 'renewed' sense of motivation. A huge boost was gifting (at a free guild table) the ufo's that I had no interest in completing.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Up until the beginning of this year I was in same position as you. I had been buying fabric, patterns, ect. without getting much done unless it was a gift for someone. Just never got the time to do any sewing. Then the bank I worked for terminated me (their term) and moved my job to California. I had just turned 65 and after the stunning realization that I just got fired from my first job ever it dawned on me that this was the best thing for me. I now sew almost everyday and am working on all the projects I purchased and stored for my retirement and that day is here. In the meantime as others have suggested take inventory of what you have and decide what to keep and then work on some small projects that you can finish in a day or two and don't be so hard on yourself; we all hit a wall and need to take a breath.