Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UGH!!!!! >

UGH!!!!!

UGH!!!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 AM

I just had the opposite at Joann's yesterday. Picked up two triangle rulers that were not marked as on sale but they took 40% off the price anyway. They always scan a 40% or 50% off for me. Also they give discounts for teachers. I think all these stores are as good as the people they have working in them. Really like our local one.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM

No, there is NO commission at Joann's and the computer runs the show because that's what Corp puts in the computer. The people working in the store have little say which it takes off and when they try to get it right for you they have to fight with the computer. The ladies at my store always try and do what they can when a coupon doesn't ring up right.

But I don't understand about the 30% off, was there a problem that a customer put stuff back on the wrong shelf? That happens all the time because the print is very small on the bolts and people don't realize they walked a foot away and then put something back in the wrong place.
Originally Posted by luv-e
Originally Posted by mrspete
I know what you mean. I went yesterday and the lady asked if I had the circular with my name on it? I said no, no need and she said well there is a lot of stuff 30% off and I said I know. I took the sign off the shelf where I got my six bolts to have cuttings done. And as I left the cutting table they tried to take my sign. At the register, the lady was frowning and saying well if you don't bring them in you won't get a (meaning a single discount) discount. I said, oh but, last week or last time I was here I had one of your infamous 50% off coupons and you took it off my spool of thread, not my seven yard purchase. She said oh you are wrong it always takes it off the highest purchased item. I said, H---, no it didn't. Your man here took it off the thread. I asked him and he said, 'that is the way it is done.' So she started to reach for the 30% off sign and I said, go ahead and ring up the purchase. So she did, and I asked how many 30% offs is listed? She said one. I said I bought six pieces from that section. NO WHERE does it say only one item. The whole shelf was 30% off and I expect you to cancel this purchase and RE RING IT. She did and she is much older and should have known better. I miss Piece Goods and some of the other older dry good stores. I got my 30% discount, but it is a shame you have to fight for discounts. Why be on a mailing list????? When it comes to bargain hunting, I need a license and a class with a certificate to present at purchase !

Blessings,
Ruth
OMGosh I had that happen too. The 50% off material was another 50% off and I picked about 6 different colors. I didin't pay attention because going to next job and in a hurry. When I finished the job and looked @ my receipt, she had only given me 50% on 1/2 of my material. I had to stop and ask why??? The woman was gone and they didn't understand why she did it. I would have been really upset because the store is 50 min. or more from my home. I NEVER get anything rung up right. I wonder if they get a commission if they save money for the store???? I miss Piecegoods too.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM

That manager apparently goes by different rules than the manager in this area!! That practice stopped at our store over three years ago. So you hat a great bargain.
Originally Posted by 3699quilter
Originally Posted by hobo2000
Went to JoAnn's yesterday and the regional manager was there greeting people. I made a comment about the coupons and found something interesting. Even if something is marked 20% or 30% off you can use your coupon to get 50% or in my case 50% OFF THE ORIGINAL PRICE. I actually used my coupon on scissors I really wanted and got my 50% off even though they were marked down 20%. Still saved me big time.
I was told months ago that JoAnn's no longer lets you get the coupon discount on the original price. I use their coupons from the paper, on-line, flyers & Michael's and most of the time I find something I can use - they come in handy when you want to stock up on certain items. But it is disappointing when 3/4 of their stock is on sale and you can't use the coupons. I like JoAnn's - I refuse to pay $10/yard at the quilt shops.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM

The Joanns here will take a 50% coupon off of sale items; they override the sale, then take the 50% off of the original price.

Most stores that are offering BOGO (buy one, get one free)give the lower priced item free. If you are getting three items, good idea to have the cheapest one rung up separately.

The only fabrics I buy at Joann's are fleece and Kona muslin; I've never had any problem using a coupon off of either - but have never purchased over 10 yards at any one time, so don't know if that would be a deal-stopper or not.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Went to JoAnn's yesterday and the regional manager was there greeting people. I made a comment about the coupons and found something interesting. Even if something is marked 20% or 30% off you can use your coupon to get 50% or in my case 50% OFF THE ORIGINAL PRICE. I actually used my coupon on scissors I really wanted and got my 50% off even though they were marked down 20%. Still saved me big time.
I would love to know how you did this because it never works at my store. "our computer doesn't allow that" is the answer I get most often.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM

you're lucky you're near a joanns. All I have is Walmart with the incredible shrinking fabric dept. I went on vacation to my daughter's house and went to her joanns with my and my sister's coupons. I used all of the coupons on both sheets and saved almost as much as I spent. I shipped the cutter and blades home.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 AM

According tothe coupon it is 'one cut' of fabric and I have never had the store not allow the full bolt. Of course, as we have been reading, there doesn't seem to be a consistent rule. Have anyone questioned the people at the corp. headquarters about these discrepancies? I sure hope they are reading the comments. And do something about it!!!
Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I used my last 50% coupon last week for a bolt of Kona muslin. i had a client drop off 5 small tops without batting or backing, she said use muslin.
Tell me, how much yardage is on a bolt?

I noticed that on the coupon, it says for 10 yard maximum..do they allow the 50% off on the entire bolt when it has more than the 10 yards?

Thanks, mj
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM

I am very pleased with the service I get at the Joann's near me. There is one woman there in particular who gives great advice and I've even decided not to buy something twice because of her advice. But I am getting other things there regularly - blades, books, notions, upholstery fabric...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM

It's not only JoAnn's. Hubby and I went to lunch last week, with a 20% coupon off the total bill. We get these every couple weeks from this resturant, have always orderd off the senior menu and the coupon worked. Not last week! They said our senior lunch was already discounted, so couldn't use coupon. I said they used it a couple weeks before, and they said their NEW system wouldn't take it now. I didn't realize the senior menu was discounted I guess. Thought it was a bit less because of smaller portions. Guess not. Oh well. :cry:
Old 06-22-2010, 11:17 AM

JoAnn's, Hancocks--all franchise stores, so what each does or how it handles a situation is up to the owner/manager of that particular store. Some are good; others really stink!