Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Best Long Arm to Buy >

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 PM

I would suggest going to an AQS quilt show if there is one near you. I go to the one in Lancaster, PA every March and pretty much every LA manufacturer is there so it is a great opportunity to try out all the different models and do a comparison.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

I have a Babylock Crown Jewel. I bought what was local, convenient, and less expensive, and I regret it. Honestly, the machine is fine and will do what I need it to. But the machine is far from the whole story. I now realize how important a high quality frame is- I find the grace majestic severely lacking. Plastic ratcheting gears-which have already broken once and have been replaced-definately not going to last. I'm afraid to tighten them where I would like to as they will break on me.
I would definately try to load a quilt before settling on a machine-look for more of an industrial frame which will withstand the test of time. If I had to do it over I would go with an innove or A-1.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 PM

I have the Innova 26”x12 with the Auto Pilot; the new update n/c is fantastic! Draw your design then trace and record it. Resize it, change it. Watch the tutorials: http://innovalongarm.com/<o></o>
Phyllis nm<o></o>
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
Well like everyone else in this economy I want the most bang for the buck but I also want one that will last my wife and I for a long time.

As far as servicing the machine I can more likely do that myself and since I will be in the backwoods the idea of a service call will never cross my mind.

But thank you for your input and keep the comments coming!!!

Billy

This is why I bought the Tin Lizzie DLS18 last year. It is a good workhorse, all metal, and something about ballbearings or gears or something, anyway my husband being a mechanic as well decided it was the machine for me. It is a very basic machine, less things to go wrong with it and yet she purrs like a kitten.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 AM

I have two Gammills and wouldn't trade them for anything! You can go to the Machine Quilter's Showcase in Missouri the first weekend of May and try them all in one place. There are also a lot of classes and demonstrations there. Definitely worth the trip if you are serious about doing machine quilting.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 AM

I researched for several months before buying for a part time business. We bought the Innova 26 with autopilot which is Innova's computer system. In the running were APQS, A-1, and Gammill.each had really good qualities. A-1 is the lightest and easiest to move and they have 3 days of training in your home at setup which really helps get you started. APQS is very good and its handle layout is excellent but felt heavy to me.( I have RA so beyond stitch quality which I felt was first and foremost, ease of movement was second for me). Gammill surprised me. I heard from quilt shop owners that they were clunky, leaked oil and were behind the times even though they were first to the game. I should have known that wasn't true. It was our second choice and was light and very maneuverable.

We ended up picking an Innova. I love what the company is about. A family owned business that is reinventing itself in some ways. They have really thought about the quilter and what we need. They are constantly coming out with improvements and upgrades. They have a bobbin sensor of sorts, a thread breakage sensor, an awesome stitch regulator(why we ultimately bought it, the stitch quality is perfect all the time), etc. the design is awesome and sturdy. Their computer system is called autopilot and is another reason we chose Innova. With the upgrade, it really has become simple to use and the way it is designed it eliminates the chance of "drift" in your quilt designs. Their customer service line is truly 24 hours a day. I have had multiple conversations with the owner regarding issues I had when I first started and he is a phone call a way. I do think they need to improve on documentation. If they had more written explanations about basic things, customers wouldn't have to call the company. I have been struggling with tension recently, but I watched some YouTube videos and read the companies service bulletin and I have finally seemed to concur that beast. I could have called but wanted to try on my own. I know I sound like a commercial, but I'm really happy with my choice. Also, buying the computer system allowed me to start finishing quilts almost right away. I'm grateful for that there is a good support system at yahoo for both the longarm and the computer system....I know...I know...

Anyway, that's what we picked and why. I wouldn't go smaller than 26, find something that has great stitch quality in and out of points at all speeds, decide what things are most important to you and try them out
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 AM

I have a Tin Lizzle 18LS and have just purchased the Shirley Stitcher II to go with it. I bought it because it probably the most affordable machine out there. It is a great machine for the $$ if you can learn to balance the tension and learn how to diagnose and correct problems. The biggest problem are the cords are not contained and they get hung up on everything. I have been able to find ways of rigging it so that they are out of the way. As far as service, both my local dealer and Tin Lizzie are seriously lacking in their Customer Service skills so I have had to have the patience to research the answer to the issues I have had. I bought the Shirley Stitcher at Christmas time and I am still trying to get it to work properly. I have most of the bugs worked out and have found lots of help out there from other Tin Lizzie/Shirley Stitcher owners. I bought the Shirley Stitcher because I hate doing Panto/working at the back of the machine but some customers want E2E designs or a combination of that and custom. I thought it would be nice to have the ability to record a motif and repete it however, you have to keep the belts engaged to do that and the movement is not nearly as fluid and I have not yet mastered that. I love to do custom work and use rulers. I mostly quilt for myself but take on enough outside work to pay for the machine and to support my quilting habit.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM

I think it's really important for you to personally look at and try a few machines before purchasing. I have an APQS and have tried the Gammill and for me, I preferred the APQS. In our area, the service for them was better as well but I have no problem at all with the machine being light. It's never bounced and it's much easier to quilt with as it is lighter weight. It's mostly going to come down to what feels best for you. Mine has stitch regulator and I would suggest that for sure. Check them out though and see what fits you best.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM

did you purchase a Martelli LaCresta?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Well...my recommendation is for you to go to the trade shows, or quilt shows, and try all of em- see which ones you like, and what features you like. I prefer my quilts to be hand guided, if they are done by machine, its too smart for me cuz im no computer jenius. But do be mindful of options, a stitch regulator is a must. Prob even best to buy your machine at a show, cuz youll get a better price. Another thing is finding a dealer- what if something goes wrong with your machine?
How long are you willing to drive to get it fixed? I have to say I bought mine at a show and never looked back-
bad thing is, have taken it to the dealer a few times, like 3 or 4, and he never fixed the problem, Im from Ohio- so I had to purchase an empty box- which almost cost me $100. and had to ship it to Utah. long story short, I sent it back to the manufacturer just before t-giving and i got it back after the first week of december, with quilts piling up.
Anyway, was thrilled with the service, havent had a problem since!! Handi-Quilter 16 all they way baby!! love it
katz