C pap users

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM

I'd like to add....if anyone has one and refuses to use it...let me know what you'd sell it for!! (Money for you to buy more stash!!!) I'd take one to my daughters where I spend nights occasionally, and perhaps another just in my car or to work in case I got stuck at work over night due to bad weather.
Perhaps you don't use it because it dries your nose/throat...do you have a humidifier on it? Is it working proficiently? Take it in and have it checked! Maybe you need new/different headgear. There are many different types! I'd never take a nap without putting my c-pap on!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM

I also use a cpap machine. The reason you need a chin strap is if you are like me and are breathing through your mouth, your mouth gets extremely dry (medication also contributes to this) and it gets very uncomfortable. The chin strap helps to keep your mouth closed. I appreciate all the ideas to help make this a more plleasant experience. :thumbup: :idea: :shock:
Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

I also was grinding my teeth and had an appliance made by my dentist. Set me back over $300. When it dried out, I bought one at Walmart in the sports department. They are the plastic mouth guards for athletes. Costs all of .98 cents a few years ago. Haven't bought one lately. But you mold it to you mouth after softening in hot water and presto you have a mold of your mouth , and you have saved $299 to spend on your stash.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jfifer
I don't have trouble with mine. In fact I have a full face mask and I hate it. I blows air into my eyes. And yes when my mouth flys open the air rushes out and makes things worst.
This must have something to do with the type of mask it is. I can open my mouth and nothing happens. It also has the adjustable part above my eyes where I can change the angle to keep the air flow out of my eyes.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Randa
I'd like to add....if anyone has one and refuses to use it...let me know what you'd sell it for!! (Money for you to buy more stash!!!) I'd take one to my daughters where I spend nights occasionally, and perhaps another just in my car or to work in case I got stuck at work over night due to bad weather.
Perhaps you don't use it because it dries your nose/throat...do you have a humidifier on it? Is it working proficiently? Take it in and have it checked! Maybe you need new/different headgear. There are many different types! I'd never take a nap without putting my c-pap on!
My machine also has a humidifier. The number that my machine has to be set at is so high that I would be miserable without the humidity. The kind people at Norco told me to never try to use it without the humidity. They were surprised how high my machine has to be set.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
I was supposed to go to the sleep clinic a few months ago, but there is no way I can leave my disabled DH alone all night. None of his nearby family are willing/able to do all the personal services I must do for him, so I had to cancel my appointment. Doctor wass less than pleased with me, but hey, you do what you have to do.
Please contact the Texas Department for the Aging. I work for New York Aging and we have programs for situations like this at no or low cost.

Thankfully my mouth stays shut with my mask but will have to talk to DH about this as his doesn't seem to stay shut all night long.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I bet he will be really impressed.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM

You girls are right on about using "stuff" for other than what it was designed for. A case in point is tampons in Iraq and Afgh. The soldiers received some in a care package and used them to pack bullet holes in their comrades until help arrived. They staunched the blood flow and did not cause infection. Now, I understand that they are standard issue in some patrols. Keep on using those wonderful "thinkin caps."
Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Sometimes the strangest things are the best solutions for problems. I use the liners on my feet. To clarify that: I cut one in half and press it under the balls of my feet where they are sore. Beats the price of the pads made for feet.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
For me the real danger was that my oxygon levels went down to about 56 in the night, and I am in rem sleep most of the time I am asleep. I had no idea until I was in the hospital a few years back for surgery. The nurse kept trying to wake me up because even with oxygon on my stats were around 72. She wasn't very happy with me. She deserved it though for being mean earlier in the day.
I had the same post-surgery problem, too about a year before I found out I had sleep apnea. It is absolutely vital to tell your anesthesiologist ahead of time that you have sleep apnea so they can monitor your stats and the amount of anesthesia they use more closely. Also, we're supposed to either take our CPAP with us or make arrangements to have one at the hospital to use during our stay.