Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for... >
  • the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

• the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 PM

I love it just the way it is...looks like fall in Missouri...we always have green leaves on trees while others are turn colors.
    Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM

J'aime beaucoup les batik, belle composition
    Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 PM

I love it, but possibly it's the outside green. If you hide the outside one, it gives it a really warm feeling to your block. Perhaps change that green, to a different orange/red colour?
    Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 AM

When I was constructing the block I worked at one color leading to another. I also know there are greens in fall forests... so that's okay. BUT, in playing last night--the brights I have are just too bright for this block after the gold. They don't fit and beside I want the brightest in the center. The brights I used for "Fall Splash" are being saved for another one and there's very little of each one left, so I don't want to use them up anyway.

There are few colors to work with after that gold--which I really wanted in the center for that glow. The rest have to be darker to keep that center glowing. :-D

I'll play at substituting the green strip and see how it looks, but I'm not hopeful I have anything else that will work--I worked hard at this before I started--even emailed color choices to several quilters for opinions. :-D

We're headed to a Grape Festival today and there's a quilt shop with lots of batiks on the corner where we will park... I will have a gold block and some strips in my pocket ready for a quick detour. :wink:
    Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
    If you have ever seen pictures of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mtns in October, your squares are perfection to our fall season and we are known for the beauty of our fall foilage.
    Cool!!! Maybe I should leave it then!!!

I love it, and wanted to go get the rake. lol
    :lol:

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions!!! I'm going to read them through again to try your ideas.
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 AM

I like it, it says fall to me, very pretty....:)
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    I wanted rich fall.... I feel like I got jungle or camouflage. :| :roll: It was rich fall to a point...then it took a turn. Maybe it was the dark red strip? Hmmm.

Maybe I've been working on it too long... I'll put it away and peek first thing tomorrow to see if I feel differently.

Thank goodness I didn't plan on making a whole quilt--just a table runner and a wall hanging, so only 42 blocks are started. Phew! I completed 10 tonight so I could see how I liked it.
    Personally I love it. I love the batik design with the leaves. As a table runner and/or placemats, it would be beautiful for Thanksgiving. You do nice work. I think the placement of the squares are lovely. Edie
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:22 AM

Just for fun here were some other choices. I loved this choice best--and so did the majority of those who voted. :lol:

#4 the winner!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]96329[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96368[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96369[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96370[/ATTACH]

#5 Here you can see that red is just way too bright to add after the gold I've used.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]96557[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-96324.jpe   attachment-96363.jpe   attachment-96364.jpe   attachment-96365.jpe   attachment-96552.jpe  

Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 AM

It should be very pretty.
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:22 AM

i love it..i would tack it up on a wall, or pin it to white flannel,and hang that up for a few days....someplace where you can see if from far or near..and let it "rest".

you are right on top of the blocks and can't see "the forest for the trees" (no pun intended) or however that saying goes!

fall for me in michigan, orange,deep reds,yellow golds.