Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Hi! Diana, I have an older digital camera(had it about five years now) and the program that came with it was very basic. This is the first time I've needed something resized. Thanks for asking, Chris
Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! Diana, I have an older digital camera(had it about five years now) and the program that came with it was very basic. This is the first time I've needed something resized. Thanks for asking, Chris
Here is a site that lists some free photo editing software that will work with any image on your computer not just photographs. http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/...cles/4488.aspx I use Photoshop myself, but the key elements that you need are the ability to crop, to "save as" a bitmap which might be under "export as" and to choose the dpi number to save it in. Good luck

Diana
Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Hi! Diana, Thanks so much posting the site. That made all the difference, I got it to work!
I've had to stop working on the EQ project for a few days. The quilt guild I joined has yearly project of making quilts for the pregnancy center in town so I'm working on one of them. I found tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Co website that intrigued me. It was Summer in the Park, 2-1/2"; strips sewn in strip sets of three, then two strips sets sewn into tube. After pressing the tube in cut in triangles. Too cute. Thought I could learn a new block and make something for the Center all in one.Video shows using jelly rolls but had fabric already so I cut the strips. I love their tutorials http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/ Hope you're having a great weekend, or are just starting to thaw out? We've had a few nice days this week, so it wasn't bad. Chris
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM

I have had EQ6 for probably about 3 years. I took a couple of classes, missed a couple of classes, then the LQS ended up closing so I haven't had the chance again. Recently I drug my book out to attempt to learn a bit more about it. I couldn't even remember how to make a block much less design a whole quilt.

I saw a post somewhere with the basic instructions for choosing a block and designing the quilt. THAT got me started again. I've been reading the hints that pop up. I've been looking up stuff in the book if I have a particular question. It's really great finally understanding the program, even just a tiny portion of it! I actually created 2 seperate quilt tops, with the blocks and border I wanted and in the sizes I wanted. The cool thing is I printed them and I also get the amount of fabric I need for each color! I could print out the block templates but I didn't need them for what i was doing.

I use the fabrics for the basic colors and I will try to pick something that is similar to what I'm really using. That way I can see if the prints will go together or if the color values are too close.

I DID NOT NO that I could download that stuff from the internet!THANKS for that information!!! I spent last night downloading several of the fabric lines and the patterns from connecting threads! Awesome! Like I said, Imay not have THESE fabrics, but i can use the basic print sizes and colors to design stuff that is similar to what I do have in stash.

The more I learn about this version the more I want to upgrade. I wanted 7 but missed the chance to buy it cheaper, now I'm just waiting. I REALLY want to be able to use a photo to make a quilt!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

The more I learn about this version the more I want to upgrade. I wanted 7 but missed the chance to buy it cheaper, now I'm just waiting. I REALLY want to be able to use a photo to make a quilt!
Hi Julie,

I traded up to 7 when it came out primarily because 6 had a limited number of downloads and I was maxed out. I didn't expect any earth shattering changes, but was pleasantly surprised with the photo to quilt option. On the other hand, unless you absolutely know that is what you have to have, the rest of the changes in 7 are minimal as far as I can tell. If you are looking for a paper piecing photo program, Quilt Assistant (free - http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html#download) is much better at that than EQ7.

Diana
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Hi! Julie, So glad you posted! Hang in there, as Diana and Linda have encouraged me to do and it's working,I'm working through the Version5 mystery quilt and it's fun! Think mystery quilt lessons are a little easier than manuals to follow. You might look into the mystery quilts for Version7, might help you in some those areas that you missed in the classes.
Please let us know how you doing. Take care, Chris
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! Julie, So glad you posted! Hang in there, as Diana and Linda have encouraged me to do and it's working,I'm working through the Version5 mystery quilt and it's fun! Think mystery quilt lessons are a little easier than manuals to follow. You might look into the mystery quilts for Version7, might help you in some those areas that you missed in the classes.
Please let us know how you doing. Take care, Chris
I only have version 6 for now and yes I did start the mystery quilt lesson tonight! Seems like an easy enough way to get free lessons :)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I only have version 6 for now and yes I did start the mystery quilt lesson tonight! Seems like an easy enough way to get free lessons :)[/quote]

Hi! Sorry, forgot that you mentioned that you hadn't bought 7 yet. Which quilt did you decide to work on? I picked Skylights lessons to work on. When my husband saw what I was trying to learn, he said " you need to make that!". Don't think I'd ever seen him excited about something I hadn't even started to work on!
Please let us know what your progress is. I'm trying to get some sewing done and when I need a break I work on a lesson. Take care, Chris
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I have had EQ5 for a few years but life intervened and I never got off the ground with it. I upgraded to 6 and am working through the user's manual, having just finished Lesson 1. I hope to get it mastered this time.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 PM

I have EQ6, and have had it for about 3 years. Only been using it for the last year, and I managed to design 2 quilts on it.I am very happy with the results, except that I somehow ended up with an extra fabric in the Fabric required chart. Don't know how that happened!

Anyway, I bought the EQ6 Simplified book, and I use it a lot when I am working on something. The program seems somewhat awkward to me, but I am not familiar with any other design software, so it just may be the nature of the beast!!

Wish I had more time to spend using it. Lately I have been doing a lot of purchased patterns, so I haven't needed to use it. I like it when I use it...which isn't very often.