Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry! >
  • "Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

• "Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 AM

If it doesn't sit right, go with your gut
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 AM

It is perfectly legal to loan a pattern, sell a pattern, or give a pattern to anyone you choose...if it is the original pattern.

What is not legal is to reproduce a pattern (i.e., make another copy of it) and then loan-sell-give that copy to someone (or for you to keep the copy and loan-sell-give the original away). You can, of course, make templates for your own use. You just can't turn one pattern into two.

Just tell the friend that you will loan her the pattern when you are done with it. Simple really, and perfectly legit.
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM

I would not want to lose a good friend, so I have at times, just give them the pattern, tell them I have changed my mind and go buy me another one.
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.
    Designers have no problem with people who sell a pattern after they buy it and make their own quilt. That's no different than buying a used book (or even using one from the library). The designers do have a problem when we buy a pattern, make a copy, and then resell the pattern. Likewise when we buy a pattern and "share". That's a copyright infringement. It happens and designers don't like it. They can't really stop it, it is, however a matter of conscience. Someone who works in a quilt shop should know the rules.
    Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 AM

I would let her use the pattern not copy it. Lending out books, patterns or magazines to a friend to me is ok. Like Lori S, it is my personal library.
    Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Just a note on patterns and copyrights. Let's put it in a different context. Say you buy a car or a couch or anything for that matter. Someone had to be the designer and no one "shares," or gives kudos to his/her when you purchase do they? Why, all of a sudden have these pattern designers stepped up and want a cut? They are paid from the get-go and once it goes on the market, that is it. Yes, I can see giving their name as the pattern used, but it ends there. If we are to go by their "copyright," rules then, we must give kudos to the designer of the clothes we wear, the car we drive, the farmers that grow our food, etc. This whole entire subject has gotten out of hand. Our Mother's made our clothes and not one single time was there a pattern designer that got a "cut," of the clothes made, nor the fabric designers. Let's give this topic a rest; please. Thank you, GiGi
    Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 AM

If you have an extension table for your machine you can lay a
    light under it and use it as a "light table". I have had a similiar problem with a friend who is quick to want to share what I purchased but never offers to share and I am finally
    deciding not to be the generous one anymore. MY friend is
    usually looking for fabric instead of patterns.
    Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 AM

Girls, Do think it's ok to share magazine pattern?
    Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DJ
    If she just said "we" could start tracing it, she may have just meant she'd help you. She may not have been assuming she'd get a copy. When you're done with the pattern, I would think you could loan it to her (the original pattern) without infringing on the copyright.
    I agree she's a friend, if you read a good book, would you hesitate to pass it on to a friend. No one needs stress and strain with a friend.
    Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM

Actually, this is NOT legal. If a pattern/book is just purchased and still on the market, the author is not getting any money if the pattern is loaned.

Just say NO is the answer. No, I don't share patterns.