Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US >
  • Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

• Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ann912
    I have a friend in Australia who orders fabric in the U.S.
    Even with shipping price it is cheaper than buying it there.
    Very true!
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
    lue

Do you have thrift stores that sell recycled fabrics in The Netherlands, Australia, etc.? By the way, in The Netherlands you may have expensive fabrics but you have the best AIRPORT that I've ever seen (Schipol) in Amsterdam!! Having that hotel that you can rent space in on a layover without leaving the airport is simply amazing!!! Now if we could just get you some inexpensive fabrics...
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by lue
    Do you have thrift stores that sell recycled fabrics in The Netherlands, Australia, etc.? By the way, in The Netherlands you may have expensive fabrics but you have the best AIRPORT that I've ever seen (Schipol) in Amsterdam!! Having that hotel that you can rent space in on a layover without leaving the airport is simply amazing!!! Now if we could just get you some inexpensive fabrics...
    Yes, it's a great airport, and so easy to travel to as it has a train station attached as well.
    Too bad I don't use it as much as I use my fabrics LOL

So far I haven't found any quiltfabric in thrift stores. They sometimes do have some table cloth and/or sheets , but not that good ornice that I wanted to buy them . I do look for them, because , a quilter never kn ows when she might get lucky .... :-)
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
    I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
    Similar prices to most parts that I have visited and live in. I have always been under the belief that the material is shipped cheaply to the U.S. from such places as Japan, then re-packaged and sold to the rest of us and that is why we have such high prices. If my assumption is wrong, I can easily take correction or information.
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

wow, I cannot fathom those prices ... I am grateful to have the meager stash I have built over the last 20 years.
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
    Similar prices to most parts that I have visited and live in. I have always been under the belief that the material is shipped cheaply to the U.S. from such places as Japan, then re-packaged and sold to the rest of us and that is why we have such high prices. If my assumption is wrong, I can easily take correction or information.
    I have heard that too. One just has to be resourceful. I buy from the US at half the price, visit 2 fabric outlet stores who sell at half price, but still support quilt stores and at craft shows for top quality. I would love to be able to go to the quilt stores all the time. Where I shop mostly comes down to how special the quilt I am making is. Linus quilts are often made from donated fabrics or fabrics bought at the outlet stores plus from my stash. Hey, I don't smoke or gamble and drink only socially so I figure I deserve fabric.
    Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM

wow, i was born in the netherlands and still have family there. my cousin quilts, but i am sure not so much with those prices. maybe i should send her fabric from here.
    Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM

No stash there.
    Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Glad to know that. I won't fuss so much about the price of
    our fabric.
    Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 PM

At the IQF in Houston, Texas last year, there were some European fabrics in the blue,yellow, red and they were expensive...Don't know how much per yard but I just know that compared to what we have here, they were very costly!!