Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing scrap strips to PAPER >

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
My Mom told me she used newspaper "in the olden days". I think it would bleed ink onto the fabrics. I have used printer paper. Doctors exam paper would be really good because it would tear easier. But I like the idea of recycling something that has already served it's purpose elsewhere. I;m thinking used doctor office paper would NOT be good. Eeeewww.
today's newspapers use a vegetable based ink, it would be OK, and it should not bleed anyway!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rn2639
OH MY GEE.....what a marvelous brilliant awesome idea.
(running to grab the dryer sheets now!!!!!!!!) THANK YOU for that idea. How clever is THAT?????? I love it!!

Originally Posted by erstan947
I am currently using used dryer sheets. It doesn't need to be removed. It becomes part of the quilt without adding noticeable weight to the quilt.
make sure they are USED ones....
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Old phone book pages if it's just for scraps. Sometimes I use erasable typing paper if the pattern is very intricate.
Where do you find the erasable typing paper? Is it thin like phone book paper without the print? I wonder if these thin papers would come off easier if they were dampened along the seam or if it would leave more bits behind.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
exam table paper...You can sew right thru it and it tears off easily. I like the kind that has a "crepe paper" feel to it. You can get a roll pretty cheaply at any medical supply store.
I was curious where you'd buy this from as a home user. I've wanted to try the exam table paper for a while. Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

I even salvaged some pellon type "frost cloth" that lowe's used to cover their plants when the temps dropped. They were throwing out hundreds of yards of it...talk about spendy..

I cut the lengths I needed for my own garden beds and made some BAGS to cover a few plants in the flower bed and the rest got cut into 2 yard lengths and washed and folded...

I sewed on 6 1/2" squares the other day and it is amazing...and it can stay as a foundation!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rn2639
I also love everyone's ideas....and YES my paper is new exam paper! LOL
Im an RN so I know better. lol
I just think the dryer sheet idea is great.....where did you learn that tip or does your brain just come up with great ideas???
Will the phone book paper print (black) bleed onto you fabric?????
Thanks so much!
Foundation piecing has been around longer than any of us.....it was how they SAVED their scraps in the old days so as not to lose them!

AT yard sales/estate sales/thrift shops, I am always looking for the OLD carbon paper, onion skin typing paper, etc...they go through the printer just fine for paper piecing patterns!
I have even used the newspaper end rolls (free at most printing places, just not MINE), the medical end rolls(free at my base clinic), ironed tissue paper, you name it! IF you can sew on it, you can foundation piece on it!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by janRN
exam table paper...You can sew right thru it and it tears off easily. I like the kind that has a "crepe paper" feel to it. You can get a roll pretty cheaply at any medical supply store.
I was curious where you'd buy this from as a home user. I've wanted to try the exam table paper for a while. Thanks
I can actually order it from one of my quilting supply distributors now!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 AM

I crazy quilt on muslin, linen or light cottons...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
I crazy quilt on muslin, linen or light cottons...
my sister buys old used linen napkins at yard sales etc and uses them for her crazy quilting!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Derla
In my browsing one morning, I came across a quilters blog...and she was experimenting using flattened coffee filters.
One of my favorite bloggers for ideas is SewManyWays. Here is her link to coffee filters for quilting...may not be the one you were looking for but worth looking at: http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...uesday_21.html
I love her "Tool Time Tuesday" ideas!
Originally Posted by dd
I had stopped using dryer sheets when I actually thought about it and realized they don't break down in the landfill. Now I only use liquid fabric softener.
I tried the "dryer bars", for keeping away static cling & don't have dryer sheets anymore; happily. My first dryer bar lasted 4 months & cost about $4...I do about 3 loads a day & am thrilled with them. If you dry on hot they will probably go faster, I always use low, as it leaves my clothes less wrinkled.
Originally Posted by gollytwo
I remember reading somewhere that there's some reason to not use dryer sheets - can't recall why though.
My husband turned out to be allergic to some of the chemicals in dryer sheets! Some mentioned flammability, although I don't know if that means they may be highly flammable or just equal to cotton. I suppose you could cut a piece of cotton & a piece of used dryer sheet & light them on fire to see.