Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate thimbles >

I hate thimbles

I hate thimbles

Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I can't be the only one who hates thimbles. They are big, bulky and don't fit my fingers.

Any suggestions for a really good finger tip cover that fits well, protects my finger when hand sewing the bindings on quilts?

Thanks.
Try making your own with a piece of leather and some elastic. I found that to work great for me. I have very small hands!

TreeFrog
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Not trying to be QP here either but I agree with everything gaigai says. Getting the proper fit for a thimble is the first key point. I use a Thimblelady thimble - like Roxanne's has an open end so nails go through and no sweating. And I agree that the middle finger is the best so you're not on and off constantly while having to pull the needle. I also find it much more comfortable and less painful to push with the pad of the finger versus the tip. At least this keeps one of my fingers from looking like hamburger cuz my 'under' fingers certainly do!
I don't remove my thimble to pull the needle through. After I take 6 stitches on my needle, I use a tiny pair of pliars to pull the needle through.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

I tried the small leather dots that stick to your finger and they do pretty well and can be reused but they evetually slide and leave sticky goo. The best thing for me is a cloth bandaid. I cut a piece off the end and apply to my fingertip and save the rest for another sitting.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM

I am happy to learn that I am not the only one who hates thimbles. I have been sewing, etc for 61 years and have never gotten used to them. When I hand quilted a queen size quilt I used a leather thimble and almost made friends with it!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM

I can't sew without one. I guess I started very young using one, as I remember it kept falling off my fingers.
I have many, as I obsess if I don't have one around just to sew on a button...
I sometimes forget to take it off if I do a lot of hand sewing..
then go to do something and clink...the thimble is in the way..
Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
I hand sew with a leather thimble. I like it.

My finger gets sweaty in a metal one.
Ditto :lol:
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 AM

I do too...lol I usually put a bandaid on my thumb and first finger.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I learned to sew 30 years ago and have never been able to use one. If I try to wear one I end up pushing the needle with another finger.
lol, I thought I was the only one that did this! Seriously, I have tried hard to get used to using one. Maybe someday!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM

I can't find them often, but I love, love, love the little leather circles that stick on the end of your finger. Can't remember the name of them......but hey are so much better than a thimble!!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Gaigai, for shame! You are sounding too much like the QP here! ;)
No QP here, I just figured since I initially made that mistake and had to be corrected (by the person who taught me how to hand quilt) that I might not be the only person. But one question: If you wear a thimble on your index finger, how do you grab the needle to pull it through? 'Cause I can't see how to do it. Just asking.
I too hated wearing thimbles and I have tried them all; plastic, leather, metal (new & old), etc. However, I also hated having painful fingers!! Finally, I came across a website where a quilting instructor was showing a better way to quilt.....using the leather coin thimble on the index finger and a rubber finger (used by some for office/bank work) on the middle finger to grab the needle and pull your thread through. It took a little getting used to at first, but it works well for me. Wish I had bookmarked the site, but hopefully it will work for many of you! :D