Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Addicted to fabric >

Addicted to fabric

Addicted to fabric

Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Termi
HI, I'm totally new to quilting and have only finished one wall hanging. I'm blown away by the gorgeous fabrics out there and want to buy them even if I don't have a project in mind for them. I know it's called stash building but I may have gone overboard. Does anyone else have this problem?
:oops: At this point in time I have had to stomp on the brakes. My stash is such that it's getting scary. Too many tubs. Machine in shop right now.When she comes her back we are going to have a lot of play time. Instead of looking in the stores I will just be lookin in my stash. BrendaK
Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 AM

I haven't met a fabric I didn't need to buy. My stash is huge and I still keep buying. I'm now sewing and selling and the stash came in very handy as I don't have to spend as much at one time now.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Of course! I love the way the fabric looks on the shelves, all folded neatly and arranged by color. But I have to remind myself (with my white board visible and big letters) of the projects and why I have that fabric. I have a pretty good system that works for me so I know what I need to finish up certain projects. SOOOO, I still look!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 AM

I fail to see the problem...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty :oops:
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM

Oh yes, we are addicts. We don't have to be at a quilt shop We are just one clck away from ordering fabric that we probably don't need but want!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM

I always go through my stash before I start a project. So many of mine projects are scrap or applique that I don't usually need large quantities of any one fabric. I love being able to pull almost all the fabric from my stash instead of heading off to the fabric store. Of course, when I do go to the store, I always buy more than I went for.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 AM

Welcome to the Club!! We're all addicted, some more than others. I can't seem to get past the unending beautiful patterns in the batiks. I want so many of them. I have a china cabinet full of them but drool over the new intriguing patterns each time I view one. Some quilters like small prints, others the wild large ones, a few perfer solids. A lot of buy the fabric just because we like it. Its like artwork to us. Have fun with it, enjoy the process, get plenty of storage, and don't think twice about it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 AM

It takes all my will power not to buy more fabric, if I don't need it. I have been trying to use up my stash. My friend on the other hand will buy any thing that she likes. The last time we went shopping for fabric she spent $300.00 on fabric!!!!!! She has more fabric in her house then she will be able to use in her life time.

Joyce L
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 AM

YES!! me.. i've determined that i'm only making quilts FROM my stash.. boy, what fun it is to come up with the ideas... i don't work well from "patterns" so this works great for me and if i "hurry up"... i may not leave such a mountain of fabric to dispose of when i'm gone.. just can't part with it now!!!! LOL
oh, and i have, as well, equal amounts of yarn and needles to go with!!!! but i DO knit or crochet each day and at night in front of the TV with DH.. boring life i know, but it's what makes me tick!!!! :)
Originally Posted by 1227Granny
But, do any of you actually "go through your stash" before starting a project or just buy more for a project?