Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticker Shock >

Sticker Shock

Sticker Shock

Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I like Hobbs 80/20 batting (not the fusible version). It's a very nice soft, but slightly puffy, batting that is good for either hand or machine quilting. Washes up beautifully.

Connecting Threads has it on sale this week, with free shipping if your order is more than $50. A king-sized batt, which is 10 feet wide by 10 feet long, is $21. Here is a link to it:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...m8020Btng.html

Do you mean you are using Warm and Natural batting? I Googled Warm and Gentle batting and couldn't find it. If you are accustomed to Warm and Natural, you will find the Hobbs 80/20 softer with a better drape; however, it will need closer quilting. W and N allows quilting lines up to 10 inches apart; Hobbs 80/20 is more like 4 inches apart.
Connecting Threads is a great place to shop. I love their thread!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the sites to look at. I agree with you 100%, I do most of my shopping on-line, batting, notions etc. There is one small QS close but have to go 120 miles (one way) for any other shops. Every once in a while I will pick up a friend and we go even farther to some fav shops, spending a day with a friend and finding some 'cannot live without it' fabric, nothing better. And twice a year the trips to Fabric Depot in Portland, OR is a fabric fix for sure. Some or all fabric are always on sale.
Originally Posted by kellen46
This may sound strange but I get real good batting from overstock.com. It is a good deal, however I don't know if the have your brand. Also I go to the Pellon web site and buy online from them, it is also cheaper than Joann's. Fabric.com, Nancy's Notions and some others have everything I need.I have a Joann's near by but I never go in there any more. The fabric is shoddy and high priced, the batting is high priced even with a coupon, I can get patterns and notions elsewhere on line cheaper and have a larger selection to choose from. Most all my fabric and quilting supplies come direct to me via UPS on the porch and I save on time and gas money. I hate shopping anyway and will always buy online if I can....too bad Safeway does not deliver out here.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Is Warm & Natural 80/20 batting good to use for both wall hangings and bed quilts?

I want to stock up now that you've called my attention to the prices. I have UFOs that are for wall hangings, table runners, and comforters, but I don't know if I need different types of batting depending on how the quilts will be used.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

They have to rise the price so they can discount it. They never lose anything.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 AM

For carolnbb- not all of us live in a town big enough to have a Joann's or Hobby Lobby, so if we want to shop there, we go to where they are. That's part of living in Texas. Towns are just farther apart, than in the east.I have to drive over 130 miles to shop at Joann's and Hobby Lobby. We are a town of about 21,000 people. Great place to live just not alot a shopping options. So you either do without or drive. It's not as bad as it seems. You get used to it.
I never buy batting without a coupon. I rarely buy anything unless it's on sale or I have a coupon. When I'm going to the CITY I get online and print coupons for all the stores I plan to shop at, if they take coupons. Then, coupons,list and sunday ads in hand I take off for a day of shopping. I usually have a good size list. I can't afford to go to often.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 AM

No one has yet mentioned Quilting Warehouse as a great source for batting. They,too, are having a sale on W&N. A 90" x 40 yd roll is currently $244.99...that's only $6.12 per yard...but their shipping rates are based on cost of order and they do not have a chart on the site so be careful.
http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/208763.html

Originally Posted by Shoofly1
Is Warm & Natural 80/20 batting good to use for both wall hangings and bed quilts?
W&N does not make an 80/20 blend. Their blend is 50/50. They do now make Soft & Natural which is 100% cotton needlepunched into itself without a scrim. That would give it a softer drape than Warm & Natural which is what a lot of people have been waiting for.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Kinda off topic of the increase of batting, but everything made with cotton is going up. I went yesterday to find a package of womens cotton JMS underware and the price at WalMart had jumped by almost $4 at our store. I about popped the eyes out of my head. Five pair for $11+, same as I used to pay $7+ for.
I couldn't believe it. We're talking what my boys refer to as granny panties.

As for JoAnn's, I don't buy much fabric there anymore. At the local store (next town over) they have it seems reduced the amount of fabric sold for quilting purposes. It also seems like, frankly the quality isn't as good as it used to be. The feel of much of it used to be better now it isn't much better than WM and much more expensive. I still go to Hancocks when i'm in Salem at least the quality is better.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

When I buy batting, I buy a complete bolt at JoAnn's. So the 40%-50% coupon works for the entire bolt. Then I use a 20%-30% for the entire order. It is a super way to buy batting. I plan to buy a new batting bolt this weekend.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM

I am so blessed, as my lqs sales the warm and natural for $7.99 a yard...and yes, it is the wide width...I could not believe it,and I told her that..
Kif
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I have found that since Walmart stopped carrying fabric, Joann's raised their prices substantially. I can now get better quality and cheaper prices at my LQS. And they are alot friendlier too!
Two of our Walmart's are getting in more fabric, also jelly rolls. fat quaters and pre cut yards. Yahoo