Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is quilting a hobby or an art? >
  • Is quilting a hobby or an art?

• Is quilting a hobby or an art?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 AM

Havent read all the replies. My answer is it can be both. It can also be an obsession, addiction, career, and a lifestyle. I think people with a specific talent or degree can do amazing things with fabric, texture, color, etc. than someone like me who has none of those specific talents. Art quilts are very beautiful and inspiring, just not my thing. If you want to get a degree to add to your quilting, i say go for it!
    Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 AM

For me at this time in my life if is a hobby and an opportunity to gift my friends and family with a hand made piece. Do I use my love of art and my artistic eye? Yes, every color choice, pattern choice, fabric choice and quilting choice is artistic. I also use my brain as I calculate sizes, angles, enlarging a pattern, shrinking a pattern or designing my own pattern. It is not just some "old hobby". It is my opportunity to create and serve others.

Congratulations on your decision to pursue a degree in Fine Arts and fabric arts in particular. You will be pushed in new directions, forced to try new techniques and you will have to produce and show new ideas in your work. But that will only enhance your perspective on the roles of tradition patterns, fabrics and techniques. It will be an adventure for us as you work in new directions. Please pursue your dream and show us your efforts in art from time to time.
    Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 AM

I think it's both. A lot of artists are hobbyists, not professionals. But as someone said, how can you cut up fabric, redesign it, and NOT call it artistic? Fabric and thread are your medium, just like paint is a painter's medium. I think it's very cool that you want and are able to afford to get a degree. But if you don't want to keep explaining, say you are getting the degree to help with your artistic designs, not your "quilting."
    Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 AM

It is an art form and a hobby. Its the love, the enjoyment and search for further enlightenment of your hobby that makes it art.
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM

I would say both.
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM

Yes, it is both and more. Intriguing, mind bending, all encompassing, money consuming, fixation, and more. Who ever you spoke to needs to go to a quilt show. Nothing that grosses 3 billion dollars a year is "just some old hobby." Tell him (I assume it's a man) to get a life.

SandyQuilter since 1975 When I WAS NOT a senior, but had five kids at home.
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 AM

It is an expression of our creativity. Even if it is your hobby it is still an art form. I plan to retire the end of this year and look forward to having more time to be creative. So for me it is a hobby and an art form.
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 AM

Hobby or Art?.......I've always considered it therapy : > )
    Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM

If you love quilting enough to get a degree in Fine Arts, go for it. Quilting is definately an art.

Originally Posted by Laura in Montreal
    Is quilting a hobby or an art? In a conversation about retirement plans with a non-quilter, I mentioned that I plan on doing a degree in Fine Arts (Fabric Arts) to help me with my quilting. The utter astonishment of the non-quilter threw me for a loop. He asked why I would go to the trouble of getting a university degree “just for some old hobby.” I love traditional quilts because they comfort me, but I also like unconventional ones, having been influenced by Beth and Jeffrey Gutcheon’s The Quilt Design Workbook, published in 1976 (and even made the quilt on the cover). My question is this: do you consider quilting a hobby or an art, or both?
    Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 AM

Quilting is an art hobby. Go for it.